In October of 2014, a team of Harvard and MIT alumni set out to transform the beverage industry. Since then, we’ve raised $19 million in funding and have rocketed to a team of 50.
The food and beverage industry is one of the largest ($1 trillion+), and most fragmented—made up of thousands of businesses, from your neighborhood pub to huge multinational corporations. We’re trying to modernize the whole industry—enabling businesses of all sizes to work better together through intuitive, beautiful software that enables real, business-transforming insights.
From the outset, BevSpot has viewed excellent design as a key differentiator. Our in-house design team works closely with both product and marketing—ensuring that the whole business grows with one cohesive design language. While we’re looking for teammates with specialized skill sets, every member of the design team regularly engages in discussions and critiques on everything from product UI, to brand guidelines, to the latest marketing collateral or website design.
What you will do:
- UI design for every part of our product across desktop and mobile, ensuring a seamless experience on all devices.
- Design interactive visualizations for large sets of data.
- Lead product designs through the whole lifecycle: from initial concepts, through UX/UI stages, to engineering handoff.
- Translate your designs to code, ensuring styling matches your design intent. (Working with designers who code is our strong preference—designers play a key role in implementing/maintaining designs in our codebase.)
- Help us figure out “what’s next?” A unique opportunity to influence our product roadmap.
- Test/interview/observe customers to make sure what we’re designing actually works for them (this means spending time in some bars and restaurants—yes, it’s a hard life).
- Be a key participant in, and/or facilitator of design sprints with folks from every department at BevSpot.
- Be a sounding board for junior designers with structured feedback and critique.
What an A+ candidate looks like:
- You’re motivated to solve users’ interaction and experience problems—you don’t make beautiful UI for aesthetics’ sake alone.
- Expert mastery in graphic design, typography, grid-based layout, data visualization.
- Has a strong visual portfolio exhibiting extensive UI designs and data visualizations for shipped products—not just static websites.
- Strong understanding of modern web design principles and what can realistically be built given data and timeline constraints.
- Ego-free: you’ll contribute to team crits with positivity, and be willing to take critique of your work from everyone else on the team.
- Experience successfully managing UI/UX projects to deadlines.
- Probably 5+ years professional experience shipping UI designs. (Prove us wrong if you have different experience and the right portfolio.)
- Solid HTML/CSS skills.
- Preferred: basic JS for rapid prototyping.
- Preferred: code above and beyond what’s mentioned above, especially experience with front-end frameworks like React.
Hey, Portfolio Required!
You must include a link to your online portfolio for consideration.
For this role, your portfolio should illustrate excellence in:
- Web/mobile product UI (not just static websites)
- Data visualization
- Attention to detail in layout and typography
- A chance to work and grow personally and professionally with one of the fastest growing start-ups in Boston who has been recognized at one of The Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal
- Competitive salaries and equity compensation
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life insurance
- “Two to infinity” unlimited vacation policy (yes, you’re required to take off at least two weeks per year)
- Catered Friday lunches
- Access to full gym and showering facilities in the building (plus protected indoor bike parking)
- Bi-weekly after work drink events (like wine tasting, beer and cheese pairing, etc.)
- Free snacks/beverages
- Cold brew keg
- Beer keg (we have an in-office bar!)
- Bean bag toss, ping pong, darts and games in office
- Company-sponsored volunteer days (we love Cradles to Crayons—check ’em out!)
- Working alongside these shining faces