The Cogo Labs Engineering team is building a platform of tools that enable our incubating companies to accelerate their growth. By making big data more accessible and allowing easy delivery of targeted marketing messages, we reduce the time and effort needed to build an audience and achieve profitability.
Beyond launching companies, Cogo Labs's mission is to launch careers. We strive to be the best place for entrepreneurial, technically-minded, energetic individuals to learn and grow. We're looking for a Tech Lead who will provide technical leadership, project management, and mentorship for junior engineers. If you're the person we need, you'll balance technical ability with a positive attitude and a demonstrated enthusiasm for team management.
Our guiding philosophy is that using the right tool for a job is more important than rigid adherence to any particular programming language or tech stack, which means we have a variety of languages and technologies as part of our overall solution. Python and Golang are two of our primary languages, and we use both MapReduce and Spark to analyze big data. Our database technologies include PostgreSQL, MySQL, Presto, and Amazon Redshift. When building web apps, we use Flask or Django, and many of our newest apps use React.
As our Tech Lead you will:
- Build and manage systems to scale and enhance Cogo Labs's email, display, and Facebook marketing capacities.
- Balance your time between individual contribution and team management
- Understand the career goals of your team members, and facilitate growth towards those goals.
- Ensure that your team has clear alignment between their tasks, the product roadmap, and the company vision.
- Identify and manage the set of projects needed to improve the systems owned by your team.
- Clearly communicate priorities and develop consensus for critical projects from both your team and your manager.
- Provide support to analysts and other developers for the systems your team manages and maintains.
Things that will help you succeed in this role:
- 3+ years of team management in addition to your professional programming experience.
- Fluency with at least two of the following languages: Go, Python, Lua, Java or C.
- Expertise with MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Amazon Redshift.
- Demonstrated ability to build highly scalable systems.
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to help others debug their code.
- Good situational awareness and a sense for how to prioritize coding projects based on overall business goals.
- Ability to thrive in an agile, team oriented environment.
- BA/BS in Computer Science strongly preferred.
It also wouldn't hurt if you have any of these:
- Solid Linux systems administration skills.
- Experience with e-mail best practices (SPF, DKIM, DMARC).
- Facebook, display, search, mobile or other advertising experience.
About Cogo Labs:
- We’re a venture accelerator. We employ data-driven, analytical methodologies to build profitable web businesses.
- Our work is challenging and dynamic; our environment is fun and supportive.
- Our company is profitable and established. This means “startup culture” without “startup anxiety.”
- We offer competitive salaries and benefits, plus an equity share that actually means something.
- Our employees have lives outside of work. We are musicians, athletes, filmmakers, gamers, authors, and whatever you are.
Cogo Labs is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply.