Who We Are
The Data Science & Machine Learning team at Wayfair builds algorithmic systems that drive our business, enhance customer experience, & improve customer loyalty. We develop machine learning models and reinforcement learning systems to power algorithmic decision-making across the entire customer journey. The Data Science Catalog team at Wayfair develops machine learning models to: (1) improve customer experience by accurately tagging products using multimodal data sources (image, text, categorical, numeric, etc.), (2) drive catalog and pricing strategy by powering comparisons between large numbers of products, and (3) solve the product cold-start problem to enable customers to find the best new products.
We partner closely with our Merchandising, Engineering, and other Data Science teams in order to build scalable algorithmic systems responsible for predictive modeling that drives business strategy for various merchandising and supplier side teams.
We are looking for an experienced, highly skilled, individual contributor to join the Data Science Catalog team, with a track record in solving ambiguous machine learning problems to identify the best new products in Wayfairs marketplace. You will be mentoring other data scientists, as well as working with multiple merch and engineering teams to solve one of the most impactful and intellectually challenging data science problems at Wayfair.
What You'll Do
- Develop quantitative models using multiple types of data (image, text, categorical and numeric data), leveraging machine learning and advanced data analysis techniques
- Work with partner engineering teams to build real-time scalable models & services for company-wide consumption to drive the integration of our algorithmic solutions into existing production systems
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on modeling and data science and provide technical coaching and mentorship for Data Scientists
- Understand, frame, and translate complex business problems to analytical problems that are well suited to machine learning solutions
- Responsible for the roadmap, planning, and delivery for your portfolio of ML products - from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying
- Collaborate with product leads across Wayfair Ad-Tech, Storefront, Infrastructure, and peer ML teams to ensure were building the right capabilities in the right place
- Serve as an organizational thought leader and sounding board bringing a data-driven and algorithmic perspective to the table
- Deliver presentations to high level business stakeholders that tell cohesive, logical stories using data
What You'll Need
- 6+ years of overall hands-on experience in data science or closely related quantitative field
- PhD. in quantitative field preferred (e.g. engineering, mathematics, economics, computer science, physics, neuroscience, operations research etc.)
- Hands-on experience building and deploying production ML models at scale
- Experience providing deep technical coaching and mentorship to junior data scientists
- Proficient at one or more programming languages, e.g. Python, R, Java, C++, etc.
- Prior experience building scalable data processing pipelines with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, SQL, Spark, etc.
- A high degree of comfort with ambiguity and breaking down complex problems
- A bias towards solving problems from a customer-centric lens and an intuitive sense for how the work aligns closely with business objectives
- Ability to effectively work with business leads: strong communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts and desire to influence business decisions
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.