Chewy is hiring an Associate Director of Engineering for our Platform Governance team in Boston, MA. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design, and features for this new and growing line of business. As part of a dynamic team, this role offers a tremendous opportunity for professional growth in the leading online pet retailer in the US. Reporting directly to the Director of Software Engineering, the role will allow you to act as an individual contributor while leading a team of strong engineers. The role will have tremendous visibility in the technology & business organization of Chewy.
What You'll Do:
- Provide leadership and governance over CDN, high availability proxy and load balancers.
- Manage and lead a team(s) of 5-10 experienced Full Stack Software Engineers, SREs, and Quality Assurance Engineers
- Recruit and hire high-performing engineers and mentor the growth of the existing team
- Build highly scalable, available platforms that can power millions of hits per day that is extremely fault tolerant and performs at ecommerce scale
- Iterate quickly in an agile development process
- Ensure timely and consistent communication to facilitate a clear understanding of ongoing projects and their prioritization within the organization
- Drive technical decisions and work with your product owner to manage a backlog to support multiple teams within the Chewy Software organization
- Review code and implementations, provide feedback for individual contributors
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels and across functional teams
- Collaborate on design and implementation of scalable test environments for development and testing
- Must be able to identify and manage priorities within the context of overall corporate objectives
- Work with others in Engineering Management to drive best practices in software development, testing, and production deployment
- Create a dynamic, collaborative, and fun team environment
What You'll Need:
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Systems Engineering or a similar math or engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated history of implementing and managing significant software development projects (mobile or web application development, test automation, or release engineering domains)
- 12+ years in Software Engineering
- 7+ years of experience in Engineering Management
- 5-10 years of experience in software development as a software engineer
- Experience working across fully automated stacks in a CI/CD ecosystem
- Experience building highly scalable applications with a sound architecture background
- Experience with distributed data stores at scale
- Experience working with emerging technologies
- Experience working effectively across multiple functional areas in a matrixed environment
- Knowledge of cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Solid fundamental background in multiple testing disciplines (APIs, Functional UI testing, Performance testing, data-oriented systems test, distributed systems, automation, etc.)
- Familiarity with multiple technology stacks including both static and dynamic programming languages (we primarily use Java/Kotlin but are not limited to Java/JVM tools)
- Proven delivery experience working under an Agile/Scrum methodology
- Knowledge of high availability proxy and load balancers (HAProxy)
- Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks (Akamai)
- Must be more than proficient at both written and spoken English
- Position may require travel
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
- Advanced Degree
- AWS Certification
- Scrum Master Certification
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected].