Were looking for an exceptional business-focused BI Engineer to drive data-based decision making across edX. As a BI Engineer focused on our financial data models and reporting, your work will be visible, impact and drive decisions and conversations at the highest level and across the organization.
Integrating data insights across a range of business and product decisions is a top edX strategic priority. This is an opportunity to create tremendous value for edX and our global learners as we build a world-class data team - individuals with high data literacy, intellectual curiosity and communication skills.
In this role, your work will have a major and highly visible impact on edXs mission of providing high-quality education to everyone, everywhere.
Your analyses will help shape decisions as edX continues to grow and evolve.
The Data teams work lies at the foundation of all that edX does. Our work spans the infrastructure to provide accurate, timely and usable data to the insights that shape business reporting and decision-making, product innovation, customer-facing data offerings and more.
The Data team comprises data engineers, BI engineers, data analysts and scientists and works closely with product engineering, and business stakeholders across the organization to enable edX to drive value from its data. If you are looking to make an outsized impact on an organization, Data is the place for you.
- Partner with business stakeholders, FP&A and data analysts to translate business concepts, product strategies, and informational needs into technical definitions and requirements
- Design, develop, deploy, and support scalable data models and marts that enable stakeholders to effectively explore, report on, and find insights in the data
- Serve as a primary liaison between the Data and Finance teams, enabling regular and ad hoc financial reporting
- In close alignment with the Data Engineering team, influence platform design, data operational norms, alerting and governance, particularly with regards to transactional and financial data handling
- Contribute thoughtfully to data platform design and improvements,, documentation, and best practices via DBT, Confluence and Github
- Foster relationships with peers, business stakeholders, and product engineering in order to anticipate needs and opportunities for platform enhancements
- As an SME in the financial data space, be a voice and advocate for financial data standards, integrity and quality
- Educational or professional experience with a heavy quantitative, analytical focus.
- Hands-on experience working with large data sets in data modeling, data engineering, or BI analytics
- Experience investigating applications or datasets to understand underlying data structures
- Ability to acquire and manipulate data programmatically, as demonstrated in a business environment
- Strong SQL skills and experience
- Experience working with relational databases, data warehouses and ETL solutions
- Excellent communication skills and a desire to collaborate closely with others.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with a pragmatic approach to addressing challenges
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects efficiently, and proactively communicating roadblocks and recommending solutions to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with BI tools (e.g. Tableau, Looker Power BI); financial/accounting systems (e.g., NetSuite, SAP) - or demonstrated ability to quickly get up to speed
- Knowledge of analytical development tools (e.g., Git, dbt)
- Experience with financial and accounting concepts and terms
Why youll like it here:
- edX is collaborative at its core. Youll work within your team and across the organization, allowing for continuous learning and discovery.
- Were on a mission to unlock our learners potential on a global level, seeking to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive world.
- We set outcomes that matter and provide value in all that we do, from building meaningful products to serving the edX community.
We understand that applying for a job can be intimidating. Applicants rarely meet every single job requirement, and we know there are many skills and backgrounds that will contribute to success in this role.
Thats why we provide new employees with:
- Employee onboarding and training sessions
- Personalized 30/60/90+ day plans
- Individual quarterly and annual goals
- Career pathways
And much more to support you in your personal journey at edX! That said, if this role looks like a great next step for you, please apply even if you cant check every box. Wed love to hear from you! edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, weve brought together more than 38 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And were not stopping thereas a global nonprofit, were relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.