Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. Were taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that well deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toasts Restaurant R&D teams build products that allow restaurant staff to do what they love: provide great food and service to their guests. Every day, thousands of servers, hosts, bartenders, and chefs use our products to serve millions of guests!
Our teams products span in-restaurant POS workflows (taking orders, firing tickets to the kitchen, taking payments), the back office (designing menus, pricing orders), and the integrations with third-party ordering and delivery platforms that bring additional revenue into our restaurants.
We are seeking a new Engineering Manager to lead multiple teams due to growth in the Restaurant R&D group. As Engineering Manager, you will lead your teams to deliver high impact work, and you will grow the skills of your teams over time. You love finding ways to help your teams become more efficient. You connect your teams work to Toasts broader mission. You are interested in the technical work, and have enough experience and judgement to ensure that engineers are moving in the right direction. On a given day, you might be reviewing design documents and PRs, coordinating discussions between teams, collaborating on roadmaps with architectural and product stakeholders, and conducting 1:1s with team members.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Drive delivery of business outcomes across multiple teams, including planning and execution
- Collaborate closely with PM and UX to get actionable, valuable work defined for the team
- Keep product quality high in collaboration with QA
- Ensure end-to-end delivery of software, including team ownership of monitoring and production issues
- Coach individuals in professional and technical development
- Mentor both new and experienced Team Leads
- Grow teams to meet business needs via recruiting
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 4+ years mentoring and growing successful teams
- Experience writing, delivering, and operating software in a SaaS environment
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- A strong sense of empathy for customers and teammates
- A desire to build a diverse team that wins together and prioritizes customer success
Our Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and Kotlin on DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in PostgreSQL databases or DynamoDB tables depending on use case, and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web frontend is built using React and ES6. Our restaurant point of sale application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. Apache Pulsar and Camel are used extensively in our integration transaction workflow processing.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required