Head of Profitability, Canada
The Head of Profitability should consider themselves the steward of the P+L. They partner with the GM, finance, and management teams to ensure mutual understanding of the business, shape the P+L, react to macro and W-wide events, determine what ways our philosophy and systems need to adjust to achieve long term goals, and directly manage price levels to ensure they support the strategic direction.
- Develop and execute comprehensive 24 month P&L strategy for business line, including:
- Understand and balance tradeoffs across top and bottom line items of P&L
- Proactive development of top and bottom line target setting
- Individual profit-related line item strategy (e.g., pricing, shipping) for how we get to our targets over time
- Prioritize efforts across P&L opportunity areas by ROI
- Point of contact for FP&A 5 year quarterly modeling and related initiatives
- Analysis and reporting on key performance indicators
- Responsible for price levels, margin topology, and related strategic projects
- Lead short and long term execution of prioritized P&L levers via direct intervention and/or cross-functional platform team coordination (e.g., sort, algorithms, marketing, etc)
- Leverage Wayfair datasets, analytics, and experimentation on consumer response to develop specific strategies and shape execution for the P&L
- Advise / communicate strategic initiatives that drive the P&L for the executive team
- Influence the technology agenda across systems & platforms necessary to enable business-line specific requirements
- Manage profit strategy for evolution/expansion of differentiated service offerings (e.g., free returns, designer services, etc.) and physical retail (e.g., store footprint expansion)
- Proactively drive understanding of how current macro and Wayfair-specific events impact the P&L, leveraging company and market data
- Act as holistic thought partner and leader to GM and business line management team
- Manage change by bringing customer, supplier, and operational empathy to decision making
Ideal Qualities and Experience:
- 10+ years of work experience in analytical, consulting, technology, startup, or strategy roles
- MBA preferred but not required
- Bachelors degree from top-tier institution with a strong academic record in economics, math, statistics, engineering, business or related field is a plus
- Experience leading analytical, consulting, or other client-facing teams
- Strong communication skills ability to summarize and share results with executives
- Strong quantitative skills ability to develop analytical methodologies and assumptions, use data software to conduct the analyses, and synthesize findings
- Strong business acumen ability to understand how various parts of the business interact, strong understanding of ecommerce P&L, and can identify and approach problems from a customer perspective
- Ability to learn and act quickly, make decisions and draw conclusions in the face of ambiguity
- Intellectually curious, high energy, with a strong work ethic and a desire to work in a fast-paced, high stakes team environment
- Technical in nature; Advanced Excel skills and prior experience or an interest in SQL
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.