Sea Machines is a fast-growing startup specializing in autonomous technology for marine vessels. We’re passionate about applying practical A.I. to the massive global ocean transportation market. Our products provide ships and workboats the intelligence to work remotely and give maritime operators the tools to effectively communicate with them. Based in Boston and operating globally, the company is crewed by an experienced team of mariners, engineers, coders, and autonomy scientists.
The Marine Controls Engineer will design and integrate autonomous control systems for new and existing marine vessels. Our culture is dynamic, collaborative and biased towards execution. You’re passionate about developing innovative products and delivering a remarkable customer experience.
Sea Machines is venture-funded and we introduced our first product, the Sea Machines 300 in 2018. We’re located on the East Boston waterfront in historic Jeffries Point, with quick access to the T and water taxis.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for marine vessel control system development, including design, hardware and electrical component specification, system integration and control software.
- Design scope includes schematics of control consoles, remote I/O enclosures, cabling, propulsion and helm control, sensor interface, system diagrams, PLC programming, component configuration, technical manuals and test procedures.
- Integrate control system designs in new and existing vessels. Perform system integration, test, feature validation, calibration, commissioning and sea trials.
- Test with a quantitative approach with technical performance metrics (TPMs) to track performance improvements.
- Troubleshoot, isolate, and document problems encountered during testing.
- Work cross-functionally with technical teams developing autonomy, communications, perception, system interfaces and hardware to execute functional testing, system integration verification and performance validation on new products in automated simulation and in vessel trials.
- Participate in software release and configuration management control per company standards.
- Report on product development status and testing performance metrics to functional teams and senior management.
- Develop collaborative relationships and work closely with suppliers, engineering, operations, sales team and customers.
Qualifications and Skills
- 7+ years’ experience developing and implementing controls system hardware and software for marine vessels.
- Bachelor’s degree in in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Software Engineering. M.S. preferred.
- Proficiency programming PLCs (Siemens experience preferred)
- Knowledge of classical and modern control theory with ability to design PID control systems.
- Excellent analytical and program solving skills, excellent written and oral communication, self-starter and highly motivated.
- Experience with Git software version control.
- Knowledge of messaging architectures such as Data Distribution Service (DDS) a plus
- Experience with communication protocols such as RS232, RS485, TCP/IP, UDP, NMEA0183, NMEA2000 and CAN.