The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
In partnership with commercial and functionally-organized engineering teams, Motionals Technology Strategy team leverages broad technical expertise in autonomous transportation to identify opportunities, prototype solutions, and produce market pursuit proposals related to new applications of Motionals autonomous vehicle technology. Much like an early-stage startup, the teams philosophy emphasizes rapid prototyping and learning by doing. By developing and executing pilot activities in close coordination with market analysis and product definition work, the team helps define Motionals mid- and long-term technology strategy for new product applications.
Reporting to the VP of Technology Strategy, this hands-on technical role will lead a small engineering team to modify hardware and software as required to support pilot activities. Additionally, the lead will work with Motionals product managers, architects, and engineering leaders to produce high-level development plans in support of market pursuit proposals, including detailed technical feature lists as well as estimates of cost and effort required to deliver new products to market.
What You'll Be Doing
- Rapidly build a small but exceptional engineering team through hiring of motivated, flexible, and innovative hardware and software engineers
- Contribute to architectural, commercial, and technical pilot project proposals for review and approval by Motional senior leadership
- Contribute directly to software and hardware development work needed to adapt Motionals expansive technology stack for use in pilots and proof-of-concept demonstrations, and supporting the execution of those pilots (software experience is desired for the lead position, as a player-coach)
- Interact with customers, partners, and subject matter experts to inform and support development work
- Helping to define the commercial and technical roadmap for new technology applications
What We're Looking For
- Bachelors degree in software engineering or equivalent field, or commensurate professional experience
- 5+ years relevant professional experience, preferably in full stack software development (C++ preferred) in a Unix/Linux environment
- Soft skills that support inspiring, compassionate, and effective leadership, including empathy, influencing without authority, low ego/not invented here syndrome, and the ability to build trust with your team, peers, and senior leadership
- Interest in direct people management responsibilities and relevant experience in management skills, including interviewing, performance management, project management, and technical leadership
- Ability to quickly orient to complex, established codebases and navigate changes required to adapt to new needs
- Ability to thrive in early-stage, ambiguous technical environments needing creative, efficient solutions, including a willingness to tackle any technical task required to move a project forward
- Experience delivering tangible results despite obstacles
- Strong communication skills suitable for executive and customer audiences
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experienced people manager
- 10+ years relevant professional experience balancing individual engineering contributions and technical leadership
- Experience in L4 vehicle autonomy, robotics, or a related automation field, particularly working closely with hardware engineers
- Experience planning and estimating large, uncertain development projects
Why You Should Join Us
- Members of the Technology Strategy team have an outsized influence on Motionals impact on the self-driving industry. By scouting ahead and providing a rough map of the technology strategy to pursue new opportunities, team members influence the decisions of Motionals senior leadership and the trajectory of the company as a whole.