A key member of the Technology Operations Team, the Senior Network Engineer designs, maintains and adjusts the Altruista Health networks to ensure maximum uptime, thorough monitoring, auditing, and the continuous review of network performance and security. This role supports complex networking concepts in support of our GuidingCare® platform. GuidingCare® is a complete care management platform for patient-centered care, offering health plans and provider organizations easy-to-use, next-generation data integration and workflow management tools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the IT Networking strategy for the organization by overseeing a wide breadth of architectural and engineering initiatives serving Corporate Office, Data Center, and Cloud networking Solutions.
- Integrate and support complex networking concepts pertaining to the needs of multi-layered computational environment all related to integral hardware, software, and applications components making up critical business services
- Oversee the diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving of hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components or redeploy cloud configuration instances when necessary
- Perform configuration backups and testing of backup restoration
- Responsible for disaster recovery testing and scenario planning. Ability to perform when needed in the event of a failure requiring restoration of services
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing securing appliance and cloud-based networking platforms in support of HITRUST security measures in effort to protect data, software, and hardware
- Taking the initiative to diagnose of causes of outages and service degradation in an effort to perform corrective or preventive maintenance for fault-tolerant network designs through use of dynamic routing protocols and N+1 hardware redundancy techniques
- Responsible for working with Internet service providers and Cloud carriers to discuss and resolve complex networking problems beyond the reach of the data center and cloud networking platforms and use fundamental BGP techniques to re-route traffic.
- Configure and deploy IPSec and Client VPN services on traditional network appliances and cloud network platforms in effort to work with customers to set up IPSec tunnels. The candidate must be able to triage issues by examining VPN protocols related to communication inside and outside of IPSec tunnels in effort to isolate the source of common VPN configuration problems.
- Establish and deliver reporting based on network-based Key Performance Indicators regarding network health, capacity, and areas to focus on in effort to prioritize and improve upon to report to the business
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Fully applies basic principles, theories, and concepts to job assignments. Exhibits technical and operational proficiency solving highly complex problems. Contributes to completion and documentation of projects and programs in area of expertise. May interface with internal and/or external customers. Mentors and trains other networking and security personnel.
The Senior Network Engineer is not a supervisory role.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This requires a dynamic problem-solver who can balance strategic planning and the training of other around routine activities. Problem solving will be the most leveraged skill for this individual as Altruista Health is a growing and changing international environment. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field required
- Master’s Degree preferred
- 7+ years of related work experience with transitional IOS-based hardware platforms and at least 3 years of related engineering and administrative experience with cloud-based virtual appliances or native cloud vendor networking gateways
- CCNP and/or CISSP certification preferred
- Proven experience in a working in a network engineering role where, through the development of comprehensive design and administrative process documentation, solutions are successfully transitioned to an administrative team
- Mastery of LAN/WAN routing and switching, load balancing, and network support
- Mastery of IPSec and Client VPN connectivity for a complex enterprise
- Experience with network security, monitoring auditing and forensic response
- Experience with disaster recovery and high availability support
- Hands-on experience in configuration development and standardization techniques related to sustaining large implementations related to networking, routing and switching
- Familiarity with backup and recovery software and methodologies
- Expert knowledge of Firewall ACL Management, Wireless Concepts, TCP/IP, IPSEC, HTTP(S), SSH, DHCP, 802.1Q,VTP,BGP, OSPF and other industry standard networking protocols at OSI layers 2 through 5
- Good familiarity with Cisco and/or Juniper networking devices and an understanding of the engineering and administrative nuances between the virtual networking appliances or native networking gateways
- Hands on experience with working with a major cloud vendor to set up virtual networking appliances or native networking gateways, identify and assign virtual interfaces to these gateways, and create network segments for routing traffic between network segments.
- Hands on experience working in a DevOps team and building Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Hands on experience with hardening a cloud vendor’s virtual networking appliance or native networking gateway using command syntax to effectively deploy preventative and detective controls at the same level of proficiency of a hardware-based platform.
- Adequate knowledge in Visio or Gliffy, Word, Excel or equivalent tools used for documentation
- Ability to be on-call may be requested to work after hours
- Understanding of network monitoring and auditing tools
- Expert knowledge of triage capabilities including but not limited to Syslog, debug commands, Wireshark analysis, IPSec and IKE analysis, DNS analysis, ICMP, MTR, required
- Knowledge of Web Proxies, Cloud-based Web Application Firewalls and DDOS services, and other layer 7 network security platforms is a nice to have.
- Fostering communication
- Attention to detail
- Systems design
- Systems integration/porting
- Problem solving
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Tasks involve some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (5-10 lb.); minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard and extended periods of sitting at a workstation or desk.
- Tasks require:
- Sound perception and discrimination
- Visual perception and discrimination
- Oral communications ability
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The tasks will generally be performed in a typical office environment.
While our headquartered office is located in Reston, VA, you may live anywhere in the U.S. to apply for this position.
Altruista will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Altruista is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employe