The motion controls team is responsible for motion planning trajectory generation & optimization, model predictive control, and numerical optimization. Our Senior Software Engineer contributes to software architecture and design, algorithm creation and/or implementation, and leads code reviews. Partnering with motion control research scientists to bring algorithms from concept to prototype and deployment in the real world at scale. Work in a complex and growing system where new features are being added and evaluated rapidly.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What You'll Be Doing
- Use your top-notch software development expertise to teach others better software practices and principles.
- Lead code reviews, contribute to software architecture, design, and implementation strategy.
- Develop clean software for motion controls module focused on trajectory, optimization planning, and model predictive control sitting at the core of autonomous driving systems and interfacing with other key modules such as motion planning, prediction, and drive-by-wire.
- Collaborate with motion controls researchers on cutting edge algorithms from design, prototyping, testing, deployment, to productization.
- Design and build robust and scalable codebase that enables rapid exploration and evaluation of different controls approaches and algorithms.
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Science, Robotics, or relevant field.
- 5-8 + years of software development experience.
- C++ (i.e. C++11, C++14, C++17) development experience in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering principles including software design, source control management, build processes, code reviews, testing methods.
- Experience working on robotics systems within Motion Planning, Motion Controls, Trajectory Optimization, or Model Predictive Control.
- Experience in safety-critical applications and hard real-time constraints.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to learn.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and creative thinking.