Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. Were taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that well deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, and chefs use Toast POS to serve millions of guests in their restaurants. To make our restaurants successful, we need to develop products that install painlessly, work together seamlessly, and quickly guide restaurant staff and Toast team members to resolve any problems that occur.
The DEX (Device Experience) team builds the software that creates this smooth experience for our POS tablets, from out-of-box to end-of-life. DEX takes a system-oriented approach to our goals, crafting solutions that take software, hardware, networking, user experience, people and processes into account to provide the best results for our users. In keeping with this mission, DEX partners with a broad set of teams including POS R&D, Hardware R&D, UX, Hardware Operations, Customer Success, and Onboarding.
Recent DEX projects include:
- Full-stack tools to safely release and roll out new POS features to our tablets
- Building an Android offline mode detection system that allows tablets to keep operating during interruptions in network or service availability
- Automating the hardware provisioning process for our Hardware Operations assembly lines
- Designing a painless plug-and-play experience for restaurants to install new printers.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer Team Lead for this team. The strongest candidates will be full-stack engineers who are happy working in a variety of technologies. Frontend development skills are a big plus, as frontend skills would complement the teams current deep Android and Java skills. This position would be an excellent fit for a cross-discipline problem solver who likes to think about the best ways to leverage software, UX, process, and people to achieve great real-world results.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Design, build and maintain full-stack software products on our React, Java/Kotlin, Android, and AWS platform
- Collaborate with PM and UX to create easy-to-understand UIs for customers and internal users
- Ensure team makes solid technical decisions and team output is high quality
- Drive team results and impact
- Manage team projects and process in collaboration with PM
- Grow and develop team members through coaching and feedback
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Full stack experience building cloud services and web UIs
- Proficient in Java or other object oriented languages (Kotlin experience welcome)
- Passionate about solving large scale problems and building great software for internal and external customers
- Mobile experience or interest in learning more about Android
- Technical leadership experience on multi-person projects
*Bread puns encouraged but not required