Senior Technical Program Manager
Wayfair is looking for a Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) to organize and drive strategic technology initiatives that support our fulfillment and logistics operations globally. This role can be located in our Boston or Austin offices.
In this role, you will be the single threaded owner for the full technology strategy and complex, cross-functional program which requires anticipating (and de-risking) bottlenecks, managing escalations, making smart (data informed) tradeoff decisions, and balancing the customer and business needs within our technical constraints. As a technology program owner, youre accountable for development of the technology strategy, its execution, and the achievement of its key outcomes.
An ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, innovative (both with technology and in getting things done), highly influential, and able to steer through ambiguity. They will love using technology to solve complex problems in a high-growth environment with a passionate and engaged team, have a strong product management mindset for building durable solutions to problems at scale, and able to successfully advocate for the needs of our millions of customers around the world.
Who We Are:
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for 21 million shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares and more. Partnering with Engineering, Product, Experience Design, Analytics and business leaders across Wayfair, our teams ensure that were building technology that solves important customer problems in elegant, scalable, and measurable ways.
In This Role, You Will:
- Define the mission, vision, and guiding principles for your program; setting the objectives, analyzing the data to inform decisions, driving outcomes, and influencing the resourcing of your key initiatives to ensure they get done.
- Drive the creation of scalable, cross-cutting, solutions from concept to delivery with your cross-functional technology partners; youll be able to zoom into the weeds of a solution or back out to the SVP-level to communicate constraints and target outcomes.
- Create plans that have clear, measurable success criteria, and clearly communicate progress, confidence, learnings, and results.
- Simplify complexity for the team, drive smart tradeoff decisions, and deliver incremental value for the initiative with many different product & engineering teams.
- Force multiply the efforts of many teams to deliver impact by removing bottlenecks for them before they become roadblocks, optimizing working models, and instrumenting repeatable processes.
- Own the prevention of traditional failures: bad understanding of the customer/business problem, weak collaboration between teams, interdependencies not being mapped early and often, weak technical solutioning (debt), gaps in testing, or unclear success measurement.
- Communicate and align with senior leadership, both within the Engineering and Operational organizations. You will effectively paint with context and drive high quality decisions.
What Youll Need:
- A track-record of shipping complicated, cross-cutting, software solutions (products, systems, features) in an agile environment.
- A deep understanding of distributed systems and scalable solutions; youll be expected to help contribute to the design and development of new platforms and capabilities with your software engineering peers.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for customer focused innovation. You will need to bring the customer context into the team and understand things holistically that individual squads may miss.
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights, clear opportunities, and viable solutions.
- The ability to communicate. Succinctly. At all levels.
- A Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Data Science, or other technical degree is preferred (or relevant work experience).
- 6-8 years of experience in software engineering, software product management, software development management, or technical program management.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.