By applying to this position, your application is automatically considered for the range of Data Science Tech Lead roles we have at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who we are
Wayfair is moving the world so that anyone can live in a home they love a journey enabled by more than 3,000 Wayfair engineers and a data-centric culture. Wayfairs Data Science Marketing team builds algorithmic systems that drive our business, enhance customer experience, and improve customer loyalty. You will be part of a cross-functional, collaborative team driving development of world-class ML systems that improve our customer understanding and marketing decisions.
About the Team
The Kairos Data Science Marketing team is a team of scientists, engineers, and a product manager responsible for building a highly scalable ML-based customer understanding platform. We process petabytes of data and 20k+ customer features to train machine learning models and optimization algorithms that help us predict, as accurately and as early as possible, what the customer needs, what makes them unique, where they are in the consideration cycle, and more. Our ML products are leveraged across the enterprise to drive many downstream content, targeting, bidding, and other decisions across many channels and placements. We have a global scope and power decisions across all Wayfair markets (US, Canada, EU) and stores (Wayfair, AllModern, Joss & Main, Perigold, and Birchlane).
About the Role
We are looking for a technical lead to join Wayfairs Kairos Data Science team, to own the customer affinity model suite. Youll build customer-centric ML solutions to model customer needs, interests, and preferences across all of wayfair products and complementary services (our proprietary credit card, Wedding Registry, Installation and Assembly services, etc.). Youll identify new ways to model probabilistic representations of customers preferences across brand-affinity, price point, promotions, stores and more.
What youll do
- Own the development and expansion of multiple models, leveraging machine learning
- Identify new opportunities and insights from the data (where can the models be improved? what is the projected ROI of a proposed modification?); continue to evolve models
- Architect and build technical platforms for our algorithmic engines to run at scale
- Work cross-functionally with Marketing and Engineering, and collaboratively with teammates
- Leverage the knowledge of state-of-the-art methodology and industry best practices to raise the technical standard of the team and Wayfair Data Science community
What youll need
- Minimum 4 years of industry experience in a data science or ML Engineering role or 3 years of industry experience with Ph.D. in a quantitative field (e.g., economics, physics, neuroscience)
- Proficiency in Python
- Solid experience building Machine Learning (ML) models, preferably also productionalizing models (e.g., Airflow)
- Experience working with big data tools such as SQL, Spark, Hadoop, Hive, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts, and desire to influence business decisions
- A bias towards critical thinking, creatively solving problems from a customer-centric lens, and an intuitive sense for how the work aligns closely with business objectives
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiastic about continuous learning
- Looking to make a big impact in a growing organization
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.