Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Our developer platform allows our clients to extend how Benchling itself works. Our clients science is unique, and our developer platform enables them to seamlessly map their science to our product. However, a platform is only as effective as the developers building on top of it are. The experience new devs have when they start building on our platform is one of the most important things for us to get right, and were looking for somebody to author and manage that. This spans all the content that helps somebody learn how to use our platform, from written content, to talks and seminars, to other parts of community-building.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Own the vision and content for our developer experience (our developer portal, community, and anything else that contributes)
- Work with our customers and partners to help them learn the platform
- Design and maintain content in our developer portal, including API references, content to onboard new developers, and case studies that show what can be done on our platform
- Write working scripts and integrations on top of our platform, for educational purposes
- Contribute to course material, for our technical training team to use when training partners
- Work closely with the dev platform product & engineering team to inform product strategy
- Have 3+ years in a customer-facing role involving developer outreach
- Have 2+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- Have experience writing content (articles, blog posts, tutorials, etc) that caters to a technical audience
- Possess an intense desire to understand, question, and improve the experiences for users of software products
- Are excited about the prospect of making the world a developer-friendly place
- Are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and oral form
- Ideally, you also:
- Have worked with developer communities before
- Have experience committing to open source projects, and understanding of the community mechanisms of open source projects
- Are an active participant in social media platforms such as Twitter, YouTube, Medium, and GitHub
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.