We are building one of the most exciting technology platforms in the industry to serve our customers, suppliers and employees across the globe. Imagine being responsible for the reliability and key operational aspects of the software we build for this platform. Take your knowledge of software development and infrastructure design and build a new team focused on continuously improving that platform!
We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced Director, Site Reliability Engineering to join our Infrastructure and Developer Platform team. This role will report directly to the VP, Infrastructure and DevPlats
The Director, Application/Site Reliability Engineering is responsible for increasing the reliability, and efficiency of our production systems across the US and EU. The role will inherit and build a team of 30-40 SREs, systems engineers, and managers directly with a primary mandate to influence and work alongside the Wayfair engineering teams to ensure a development culture of operability and reliability best practices.
The team is also responsible for driving service uptime and quality in 24 x 7 environments. The team will enhance observability, troubleshoot applications, support cloud-based transformations, develop tools & automation, and impact the design of the future platform architecture. Additionally, they will be involved in developing support standards for all applications and adheres to those plans to provide the necessary level of production SLO/SLI/SLAs.
The role supports multiple technology areas and requires partnerships with teams from multiple locations, skill sets, and backgrounds. As such, we are seeking a leader with strong communication skills in addition to a solid foundation of technical skills, analytical abilities, and end-to-end troubleshooting techniques.
Essential Engineering Skills:
- Recommend application changes to improve application performance, reliability, and cost to operate
- Work with Engineering to transition applications from one platform to another
- Cloud Services experience with Google Cloud.
- Experienced in troubleshooting applications running on Windows and Linux with significant opensource and custom-written application stacks in a cloud environment.
- Review existing processes and recommend changes or institute new processes as necessary, including observability, operations, engineering and system tuning, etc.
- Generate high-quality documentation, detailing the platform to application architectures and common patterns.
- Actively participate in the design and development of the core technology platforms
- Be a business leader that can translate business requirements to technical implementation
- Manage a highly technical employee base and ensure we maintain a high bar for performance and culture
- Provide technical escalation including 24/7 escalations
- At least 5 years' experience in an SRE or very similar leadership role.
- Deep expertise in the mentality, processes, and tools needed to deliver SRE principles
- Communication and influence of indirect engineering teams through active collaboration, documentation, metrics and training.
- Architecture-level knowledge of Windows and Linux and Infrastructure systems
- Experience with production deployment, monitoring and operational support for enterprise-class applications
- Experience in performance diagnostics, capacity planning, performance architecture design, performance tuning, performance monitoring
- BS in Computer Science or STEM equivalent with 5-8 years of relevant work experience
- Previous experience as an enterprise-class Site Reliability Engineer
- Inspiring leader that can manage a highly technical team of all levels
- Willingness to participate in technical conversations and problem solving as required
- A systematic problem solver, with the ability to innovate when needed.
- Good data analysis skills to pick up trends before they become major problems.
- A strong mix of Software Engineer and Operation Support skills.
- Eager to learn new technologies and platform patterns
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.