Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
As Benchlings business and team growth accelerates, we are growing our investments in the foundations for scaling the engineering teams and organization. The Developer Productivity teams mission is to enable engineers at Benchling to build and iterate on new and existing scientific domains with high quality, security and velocity.
The Developer Productivity team holistically understands and improves the quality and speed of our engineering development. The team owns the development environment, tools and experience that each engineer at Benchling uses multiple times a day. The test infrastructure and frameworks integrated in to development and validation workflows, and CI/CD is developed by this team. The team integrates and supports modern technologies and frameworks in to Benchlings technology stack.
In the past, our monolith has served us well. At 100+ engineers & growing, we are investing in modularizing the monolith into separate services with clear domain models, service ownership and seamlessly discoverable APIs. These services will have clear boundaries, allowing teams to have full ownership over their systems and long-term charter. We believe this is critical to building deep competencies and maintaining a culture of agency, autonomy and innovation. The Developer Productivity team is the primary driver for this multi-year initiative.
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- As the engineering leader of the Developer Productivity function you will have the opportunity to:
- Manage and grow a high caliber team of engineers to own all of Benchlings Developer Productivity function
- Foster and grow an inclusive and customers-first culture within the team and in the engagements with the broader organization
- Develop internal engineering productivity system and survey metrics and dashboards
- Collaborate cross-functionally, to develop and execute a multi-year technical strategy on modularizing our monolith
- Partner, collaborate and align with adjacent architectural initiatives and roadmaps on Platform and Infrastructure teams on Multi-tenancy and Microservices architecture
- Partner with Platform, Trust & Infrastructure leadership to operationalize a continuous delivery culture and foundation
- Engage executive leadership on the engineering productivity strategy, goals and long term roadmap
- Translate strategy in to execution by developing and executing quarterly roadmaps with clear OKRs
- Develop organizational culture, processes and tools around horizontal initiatives and tech debt management
- Identify opportunities to streamline interfaces and collaborations across product development and operational initiatives
- Make Benchling a great place to work by actively supporting career development, growth, and mentoring of individuals, and by fostering a fun and inclusive team where everyone feels welcome
- 3+ years of managing engineering teams in Platform, Infrastructure or Application organizations
- 5+ years as individual contributor engineer in software development
- Track record of building and managing high-performing teams with a culture of quality and operational excellence
- Ability to engage and partner with leaders across the organization in cross-functional roles
- Technical depth and experience in leading significant technology evolution initiatives in either IC or EM role
- Strong architectural and operational scaling experience to guide and inform technical strategy
- Strong understanding of development environment, tools and workflows in distributed cloud computing, virtualization, and microservices architectures
- A Bachelors degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Required Technical skills
- Deep understanding and experience with a modern web development stack (e.g. one of Python, Ruby, Java, Go on the backend; some of Typescript, React, GraphQL, on the front end)
- Experience designing complex data models and system architectures
- BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Working manager-level understanding of, or previous hands-on experience with, a service-oriented architecture
- Working manager-level understanding of, or previous hands-on experience with, general AWS fundamentals
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.