Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
We are seeking an Experienced Software Engineer with an extensive background in building Identity and Access Management Platform. Youll design and build systems to enable seamless and secure access to Benchling and other applications built on top of Benchlings platform. Our authentication and authorization systems are becoming increasingly important as we tackle new problems like supporting cross-customer collaboration, enabling a services ecosystem, and building more enterprise controls to permission customers core IP in Benchling. This role has an opportunity to shape Benchlings service and application architecture for years to come, and design and lead key foundational services and Platform capabilities.
As a very experienced technical individual contributor, you will work closely with our senior engineering and technical leaders. Although you will be at one of our highest levels of seniority in our career matrix, all individual contributors at Benchling are Software Engineers. This means we expect you to be hands on with other engineers and contributing code. We expect Experienced Software Engineers to spend more of their time:
- Defining technical designs for services, particularly with respect to auth
- Architecting systems to support continuous growth in the business and new product capabilities
- Helping shape business tradeoffs related to key technical decisions
- Implementing portions of the system and guiding others in their implementation
- Mentoring other engineers and being a major multiplier across the team
- You have designed and implemented systems surrounding authentication, authorization, and identity.
- You have experience driving the technology roadmap for platform initiatives through a deep understanding of customer use cases.
- You have served as a technical leader for a team or collection of teams.
- You have at least 10 years of relevant experience in software engineering.
- You have strong communication and collaboration skills. Youve worked cross-functionally with a diverse group of people with different expertise, aligning multiple stakeholders on a long-term vision.
- You hold an unrelentingly high bar for quality in the systems and products for which youre responsible.
- With empathy, you mentor engineers across all levels.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a role at Benchling is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause an undue hardship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.