Who we are: PathAI is a health-tech startup focused on utilizing AI-powered pathology to improve patient outcomes. PathAI applies deep learning to the medical field of pathology, which is the ground truth for most disease diagnoses including for cancer. PathAIs 220+ person cross-functional business is the global leader in AI-powered diagnostics and works with the leading biopharma companies and laboratories to improve drug development and clinical care. PathAI is venture backed by leading funds including: General Catalyst and General Atlantic, as well as by strategic investors like Kaiser Permanente, Merck, BMS, and LabCorp.
The role: The Manager of Strategic Initiatives will help to accelerate PathAIs growth through identifying key strategic questions, performing internal and external / market assessments, and providing insights to inform go-no go decisions on growth opportunities for PathAI leadership. A secondary responsibility will be supporting engagement activities with prospective and current external partners;
Specifically, the Manager of Strategic Initiatives will:
- Serve as a key contributor in the periodic refresh of PathAIs strategy including understanding of current markets, trends, and competitive positioning
- Drive rigorous qualitative and quantitative assessment of key business questions and strategic options including identifying scenarios, conducting research, and developing business cases on a wide range of projects
- Synthesize insights including input from cross functional stakeholders and present recommendations to PathAI leadership
- Function as an internal consultant managing ad hoc strategy projects across the organization
- Conduct market landscape analysis and buy / build / partner assessments
- When new partnerships are identified, support partner due diligence assessments in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Support external partner engagements as needed e.g., through the development of targeted material for partner presentations and overview of business priorities
- Support functional teams with execution of recommendations
Qualifications (must have):
- Strategy Consulting experience: 2-4 years management consulting experience at top-tier firm (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) supporting pharma, medical device, and/or provider clients
- Strategic problem solver: able to think through the business relevance and value of partnership with a partner, creativity to craft a win-win solution, and able to weigh tradeoffs between different partnership structures
- Eye for value: you can prioritize and think strategically about business decisions in a rapidly changing and dynamic business environment
- Clear communicator: clear, structured, logical communication; able to tailor messaging to various audiences across levels including PathAI Senior Management, PathAI working team, external partners
- Strong program / project management: comfort managing projects with numerous ongoing work streams involving a wide range of stakeholders - both internal and external
- Cross-functional collaboration: able to empathize with and work collaboratively with team members from other disciplines and backgrounds (pathology, product, engineering, legal, business development, scientific programs), to drive towards consensus. Can engage with pathologists and/or clinical leadership at lab partners as a peer.
- Entrepreneurial mindset proactive, persistent, collaborative, and excited to tackle a wide range of new topics
- Industry awareness: general familiarity with trends in precision medicine and awareness of drug development and medical device processes; strong interest in AI and ML applications to healthcare
- Tolerance for ambiguity: ability to structure and iterate (with key stakeholder input) on novel assignments
- Values: Strong moral compass
Nice to have:
- Prior experience in the medical device development field or in personalized medicine drug development (e.g., oncology)
- Post-consulting experience in a strategy, corp dev, BD role at an early stage healthcare / health-tech company
*We are open to remote work, though travel may be required (post-COVID). Most PathAI employees are based in the Boston area.
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. Your compensation is rounded out by a strong benefits package:
- Flexible work hours, with work-from-home options available
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, an additional two weeks of sick time, plus extended holidays and team-approved leave
- Ten days of 100% subsidized childcare per year
- Healthcare, vision, and dental insurance plans (HMO or PPO), with voluntary add-ons available for dependent care, life, and accident coverage
- Commuter benefit available for public transit or parking
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll genuinely enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.
PathAI does not accept unsolicited submissions from third-parties.
With the rise of employment phishing scams, especially during the current COVID-19 situation, we ask candidates to be extra vigilant. Be careful about providing any kind of personal information, such as location, age, or financial information to recruiters who may be impersonating PathAI employees. PathAI does not require payment for interviews or for applicants to purchase their own work supplies for reimbursement.