Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, fasterand most importantlymore accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now were funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- Weve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each persons perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe its important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life.The engineering team is growing quickly and as an Engineering Manager, you'll be a huge part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to seek problems. Our Engineering team is headquartered in NYC, but is remote friendly. All remote employees must be US-based.
As an Engineering Manager for the Platform team, you'll be growing, leading and mentoring a team of 5-8 software engineers. Projects that your team will own:
- Define the fundamental software building blocks that engineers at Better use to construct their applications (in NodeJS/Typescript, Python, and Go) efficiently and without reinventing the wheel!
- Expand and improve the paved road for applications at Better to let engineers focus on solving business problems as opposed to choosing between two interchangeable technologies!
- Help drive recommended architectural patterns across the company!
- Build the core systems that power applications at Better like configuration management, secrets management, authentication, authorization, and many others.
- You have at least 2 years of experience as an engineering manager.
- You have experience as a hands on technical lead and can jump into code when vital.
- You have led technical initiatives with broad, organizational impact.
- You empower your team to make decisions and have a track record of enabling engineers to grow professionally .
- Youre interested in solving sophisticated problems that have a real world impact.
- You want to continue to be hands on (you'll spend 20-30% of your time writing code).
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day.
- Services written in Node.js, Python (3.6) and Go that expose APIs using GraphQL or OpenAPI.
- React, CSS in JS, Apollo/GraphQL, webpack, SCSS, Ember.js on the frontend.
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack.
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics, Kafka for pub/sub.
- Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform for deployment and devops.
- AWS infrastructure, using EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.