Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, fasterand most importantlymore accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now were funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- Weve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each persons perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe its important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity:
Better is looking for an IT Infrastructure Engineering Technical Manager to lead and manage our
global IT Infrastructure Engineering teams.
This person will report to and work strategically with the Head of IT Infrastructure to lead the
Infrastructure strategies, engineering, developing scalable solutions, preparing the future
technical roadmaps and in driving the cross-platform projects.
The ideal candidate is a person with cross-platform infrastructure engineering expertise, along
with solid technical breadth across infrastructure areas and leadership experience to drive the
evolution of the infrastructure engineering services for this firm as we scale bigger. This person
should be comfortable getting technical on engineering designs and solutions, and be able to
multitask, manage projects with high attention to detail, and mentor the engineering team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Directing supervision of the cross-platform infrastructure engineering team and ensuring
the overall service quality of IT Infrastructure platforms and solutions.
- Leading the development of longterm engineering strategic plans with IT Infrastructure
senior leadership and driving the strategic direction for the technology infrastructure
platforms and capabilities to align with the business strategies.
- Leading and managing cross-platform infrastructure technical teams in terms of
engineering technical requirements and developing proper designs and solutions across
multiple technical domains or platforms.
- Leading the cross-platform technical leadership for architecting and building IT
Infrastructure solutions/products with a grasp of business needs and alignment to
different infrastructure areas and dependencies, ensuring scalability and reliability.
- Developing and building engineering and architecture standards and artifacts for all the
infra areas and ensuring standards and best practices are built as part of the solution
- Overseeing day-to-day activities of the IT Infrastructure engineering team, including the
management of workloads, goals, projects and deadlines.
- Proactively analyzing, assessing and improving service bottlenecks; streamlining
engineering functions; and improving systems, processes, and procedures for
availability, stability, and scalability.
- Leading and building top engineering team talents and skill sets across the infrastructure
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, or related disciplines.
- 7+ years of medium to large scale infrastructure engineering experience as a cross-
platform technical lead working across multiple infrastructure domains, platforms, and
- 5+ years of prior experience leading cross-platform infrastructure engineering technical
teams as an IT engineering manager with direct report and people management
- Strong experience in leading and managing multi-functional teams; providing direction,
technical leadership, coaching, and mentoring; and developing team members and their
- Experience in developing, building cloud solutions with AWS, Azure, O365 with thorough
architecture, and implementations, as well as, establishing best practices and standards.
- Strong communication skills and expertise in fostering effective, collaborative
partnerships across different IT areas to deliver on cross-functional projects and
initiatives in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Strong expertise in fostering a workplace culture that is consistent with the organization's
mission, vision, and values and in driving the highest quality of execution and delivery
across the teams.
- Significant leadership experience in ensuring the infrastructure engineering teams plans,
goals, and objectives are delivered successfully with quality and in a timely manner.
- You are self-driven and proactive in nature with strong problem-solving skills and a
passion for engineering and operational excellence. You want to deliver the best
solutions to the organization.
- You have significant experience in developing and building top-class infrastructure engineering teams by identifying talents and skills and aligning resources effectively towards the team goals.
- Ability to proactively plan and prioritize.
- You are adaptable to business needs, bringing in strong decision making skills backed by the insights, commitment, will and drive to deliver the results effectively.
- Experience with Agile methodologies, frameworks and techniques preferred, and strong project management skills required.
- Experience with SOX, PCI DSS, and other industry and financial compliance and regulations preferred.
Our team is Headquartered in NYC, but is open to remote opportunities.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.