The Virtual World Infrastructure (VWI) team builds the tools supporting the simulation, testing and debugging of the Motional autonomous system. The Principal Engineer will support the VWI team by driving software initiatives and strategy across the VWI teams in collaboration with the Motional engineering organization. Initiatives include simulation, sensor modeling, log playback, log augmentation, 3D world generation, metrics, and autonomous vehicle data visualization. The Principal Engineer will have the opportunity to drive next-generation technology initiatives, shape software vision for the Virtual World Infrastructure teams and take a leading role in the execution of these initiatives.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the busting Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What You'll Be Doing
- Define technical strategy and tooling solutions supporting autonomy, software test and system validation customer teams.
- Develop system architectures and lead cross functional initiatives building comprehensive testing solutions.
- Drive technology innovation and development initiatives and execute outcomes that will guide new technology investments and implementation decisions.
- Apply deep software development expertise to teach others better software practices and principles.
- Deep dive on specific technical issues and implement solutions in collaboration with stakeholders.
What We're Looking For
- Expert in autonomous vehicle simulation software solutions or related technical areas such as flight simulation systems or other real time modeling systems.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering principles including software design, source control management, build processes, code reviews, testing methods.
- Expertise implementing complex software systems and deploying on production systems
- Collaborated with geographically dispersed team
- Master of Science degree or higher in Computer Science or relevant field.
- Relevant technology and architecture leadership experience in the simulation domain.
- 10+ years of professional experience and a track record of delivering complex software systems
- Modern C++
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience in safety-critical applications and hard real-time constraints is a bonus.