Chewy is seeking a talented and motivated Principal Software Engineer to join our team in Boston, MA. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will serve as a technical lead to design and build new services and frameworks that will power new product features across Chewy.com. This is an opportunity to be one of the founding engineers of a new team challenged with delivering a greenfield project that will wow our customers and deliver on our mission to be the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere.
What does it take to thrive as a Principal Engineer at Chewy?
You need to be innovative, creative, responsible, and curious while leading a team of engineers to move quickly to deliver new products and services for our customers. Youre excited about designing and implementing solutions that scale and engage customers to understand whats needed to meet their needs. Youre able to think about platforms, architecture, design principles, understand operational implications, and lead us in evolving our service architecture. You partner with engineering leadership and mentor a team of bright, capable engineers to implement your vision. At Chewy, Principal Software Engineers are constantly innovating, creating frameworks, establishing technical governance, and defining the architecture for our next generation platforms. They understand our business goals, collaborate with other leaders, and inspire innovation, while delivering high-quality and high-value functionality.
What Youll Do:
- Serve as a technical lead on business critical, cross-functional projects.
- Design, develop, and implement large scale distributed systems that process and serve large volumes of data.
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the architecture and design of systems.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions that operationally scale and are easily maintained.
- Instill engineering excellence in the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability and performance of applications.
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture, and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org.
- Generate and analyze engineering metrics to inform leadership and make data driven decisions.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication and convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
What Youll Need:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or related field.
- 10+ years of industry experience.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- Strong computer science fundamentals (OO/functional design, data structures & algorithms)
- Proficiency in Java, Kotlin, or another modern programming language.
- Proficiency in system-level design microservices and service oriented architecture at scale.
- Experience developing software in an agile environment with CI/CD.
- Expert understanding how to build and scale applications in the cloud (AWS) with a focus on devops.
- Position may require occasional travel.
Bonus (if applicable):
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience taking a project from inception through launch. Includes influencing the vision, communicating with leadership, stakeholders, and technical teams to disambiguate requirements, describe software product features, and produce technical design documents.
- Experience with full-stack application development, partnering with UX design and an understanding of modern front-end design patterns and frameworks, such as React.
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com