Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling's academic offering is where we got started, our free, consumer-focused offering for academic scientists. We believe there is much more we can do to serve the academic community while also connecting it to industry and commercial research. We're looking for a product design lead who will help us continue our tradition of providing cutting edge scientific tools at no cost to academics, develop products that build a community of academic users, and drive growth initiatives to further our reach and adoption.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Partner closely with our Academic Community and Growth team to define the overall product strategy and experience for Benchlings academic products, including designing new solutions targeted toward our academic community
- Dive into the ins and outs of our free-to-use Academic offering, build and test hypotheses on how to increase user retention and engagement
- Help define the Academic growth product strategy and roadmap for Benchling across the Engineering, Product Management, and Product Design teams
- Design and prototype multiple ideas quickly, sometimes with customers, to validate product directions
- Instill a culture of design in a company that already takes user experience as its key differentiator
WHO YOU ARE
- At least 6 years of experience designing for software products, ideally SAAS, that customers love
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products
- Are data-driven, and want to influence an organization through deep understanding of the data and its implications
- Have a history of successfully partnering cross-functionally toward a common goal
- Possess an intense desire to understand, question, and improve the experiences for users of software products
- Are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and oral form
- While not required, a science degree and/or industry experience is a plus
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.