Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
The Lab Automation product makes it easy for scientist to run experiments as scale. Life sciences companies are embracing robotics to automate routine work and massively increase experimental throughput. Despite their utility, this hardware is often disconnected from the software scientists use for day-to-day work. This can leave these systems underutilized, or cause scientists to act as the glue between hardware and software systems. Lab automation provides both a data and user interface to send instructions to machines and ingest large scale experimental results.
We're looking for a Product Manager to build a seamless interface between Benchling's software and physical hardware being operated in labs and manufacturing facilities. In this role you'll work closely with engineering, design, and go-to-market to define Benchling's strategy for interfacing with instruments and ingesting large scale data. This role is a particularly good fit for leaders who crave working on software that intersects with the physical world.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Develop strategy and roadmap for a product that is both highly technical and easy to use, defining requirements for use cases that may span multiple Benchling applications
- Work with clients and vendors to understand how hardware in the lab can or should integrate with our software
- Streamline how we ingest high throughput data from laboratory instruments and devices
- Work with Engineering to plan, prioritize, and ship new features
- Work closely with our customers to understand how theyre using our product, their needs, and pain points
- Partner with Customer Experience to enable complex rollouts at our customers
- Develop pitches with Sales and Marketing that resonate in a market that's rapidly evolving
WHO YOU ARE
- Have 5+ years as a Product Manager or related experience with technically complex products. Bonus points if youve had experience in life sciences R&D or have built APIs between your product and other 3rd party software.
- Possess an intense desire to understand, question, and improve the experiences for users of software products
- Have a track record or passion for building products in industries with high domain complexity
- A strong problem solver that can gather, prioritize, and drive execution on customer and business requirements, turning them into successful product strategies
- Are comfortable in a customer-facing role, including interfacing directly with highly technical stakeholders within customer organizations
- Are data-influenced, and can identify new opportunities and provide sound reasoning for strategy decisions from that data
- Are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and oral form
- Possess influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your reports, company peers, and executives
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a role at Benchling is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause an undue hardship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.