Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Our customers store all sorts of data in Benchling, ranging from their most secretive IP to public DNA libraries. These data need to be accessed by a wide variety of users, both inside and outside the organization. Collaborations between big pharma, smaller biotechs, and academic labs are commonplace. For instance, most COVID vaccines youve read about were developed this way. The Pfizer vaccine was initially developed by a smaller pharma company, BioNTech, that partnered w/ Pfizer for manufacturing and clinical trials. AstraZenecas is a similar story; it was first created by scientists at the University of Oxford. And the Moderna vaccine wasnt actually manufactured by Moderna; the company is barely ten years old, and that work was outsourced to larger players.
This means that maintaining a users identity across different Benchling tenants, and making it easy for a customer to decide who can access what, is one of the most important problems for us to solve. Done well, this system fades into the background. Scientists go about their work without thinking about it, and admins dont worry about who can do what. Done poorly, users wrestle with the system on a daily basis; either unable to access data they need, or able to see something they shouldnt.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Drive the evolution of our identity system, including how users will authenticate across tenants.
- Work with both our customers and our internal product teams to understand what our users collaboration needs are
- Work with Engineering to plan, prioritize, and execute on launching new features rapidly
- Work closely with our customers to understand how theyre using our product, their needs, and pain points
- Partner with our Customer Experience org to enable complex rollouts at our customers
- Develop messaging with Sales and Marketing that resonates with large organizations concerned about data access
WHO YOU ARE
- Have 8+ years as a Product Manager or related experience on workflow, analytics, or other technically complex enterprise products
- Have 2+ years of experience working on a permissions or identity-focused product area in a B2B context
- Possess an intense desire to understand, question, and improve the experiences for users of software products
- A strong problem solver that can gather, prioritize, and drive execution on customer and business requirements, turning them into successful product strategies
- Are comfortable in a customer-facing role, including interfacing directly with highly technical stakeholders within customer organizations
- Are data-influenced, and can identify new opportunities and provide sound reasoning for strategy decisions from that data
- Are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and oral form
- Possess influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your reports, company peers, and executives
- Have a bachelors degree in engineering or computer science
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.