Want to help everyday Americans invest and build wealth? Financial inequality is increasing, and too many people are getting left behind. At Stash, we are passionate about democratizing wealth creation through education, advice, and products that help customers achieve greater financial freedom.
Stashs Compliance Team is a committed group of professionals who seek to be the very best at what they do each and every day. As a Senior Director, you will quickly become part of an agile, highly skilled team responsible for managing the firms regulatory compliance risk. You will collaborate with stakeholders at all levels of the firm and will be afforded the opportunity for broad exposure to Stashs product marketing and development, investment, finance, strategy, and brokerage operations teams. You will expand your professional network and work with colleagues who have a diverse array of specializations and skill sets.
The successful candidate will support the management and administration of the compliance program for an SEC-registered investment adviser, which requires in-depth subject matter expertise and collaboration with various internal and external stakeholders, including regulators, counsel, consultants, and auditors. The roles responsibilities also encompass advising on regulations, drafting policies and procedures, preparing regulatory filings, supporting regulatory examinations and audits, and overseeing a compliance testing and monitoring program, as well as managing and leading others.
The teams recruitment and selection process is built on the belief that a candidates alignment with the teams ethos is the most important component of candidacy. Candidates are evaluated on character first, aptitude second, and skills third. Your objective during the interview process should be to gain insight into the teams ethos, as well to clarify for interviewers why you want to support Stashs mission, why you would be well suited for such a calling, and how your attributes (e.g., open-mindedness, conscientiousness, equanimity) evidence future success. For the sake of clarity, excellence in terms of subject matter expertise is expected of all candidates. In this regard, exceeding the standard is the standard.
What you'll do:
- Oversee the administration of the regulatory compliance program of the firms SEC-registered investment adviser, Stash Investments LLC, including policies, procedures, and processes (e.g., code of ethics, personal trading attestations, testing and monitoring, annual review, complaints, etc.) that enable compliance with laws, rules, and regulation, especially, but not limited to, the Investment Advisers Act.
- Remain current on the regulatory agenda and analysis (via consultants, trade groups, external counsel, etc.), collaborate with Legal to develop interpretations on complex regulatory matters, and cascade such knowledge among intra-team compliance stakeholders (e.g., Business Line Compliance, Brokerage and Operations Compliance), as well as cross-functional stakeholders through training and amendments to policies and procedures.
- Manage regulatory document requests and responses (e.g., examinations, complaints, etc.), audits, escalation, and training.
- Maintain strong institutional knowledge of operations functions and associated processes including trade life cycle, payments systems, and subscription and advisory fee management.
- Collaborate with the Investment Committee to maintain risk-based investment governance requirements (e.g., standing agenda, best execution review, etc.) given relevant rules and risks, ensure such requirements reconcile against the Committees charter and the wrap fee programs investment policy statement, and partner with Legal to update relevant documents where applicable.
- Ensure alignment of the Stash Investments LLC compliance manual, investment management agreement, disclosure documents (e.g., Form ADV Parts 1, 2, and 3), risk assessment, compliance monitoring and testing program, and desktop procedures.
- Provide the Business Line Compliance and Brokerage and Operations Compliance teams with ongoing relevant, accurate, and precise compliance advice, as well as recommendations or plans for the implementation of such advice. Such advice and implementation includes, but is not limited to, advising on the following:
- requirements for client onboarding, especially the suitability questionnaire,
- advisory fee collection practices,
- books and records retention including client account data,
- non-discretionary portfolio management and investment advisory services,
- best execution analysis,
- custody of client funds given the interrelated activities of affiliates with complex payments arrangements,
- branch offices and supervised persons (and access persons) in a remote environment,
- information barriers and supervisory reporting lines given conflicts of interest, and
- shared services of Stash Investments LLC and its affiliates, including partnering with Legal to develop and maintain inter-company agreements.
What we're looking for:
- Candidates should have an impressive record of achievement and at least ten years of relevant work experience, including meaningful and protracted exposure to investment management compliance.
- Familiarity with relevant portions of key investment management laws, rules and regulations, such as the Investment Advisers Act and the Securities Exchange Act, as well as a desire to expand working knowledge of consumer compliance regulations.
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills and an aptitude for building strong relationships with stakeholders across various seniority levels and specialties through the use of engaging, courteous, and persuasive communication styles.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and an aptitude for thinking clearly about complex issues under conditions of ambiguity, uncertainty, and high pressure.
- Exemplary attention to detail, exceptional analytical skills, and strong judgment skills.
- Leadership experience
- Series 7, 63, 24
- Juris Doctor
At Stash it is our mission to help everyday Americans invest and build wealth. That includes people of all races, genders, and abilities, so it is important to us to acknowledge and address the issues of inequality in financial services head on.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products. Our success is directly related to our employees and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.
If you require any reasonable accommodations to make your application process more accessible please reach out to [email protected].
Invest in Yourself:
- Equity & Stash Accounts [Invest, Retire, Custodial, Bank]
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Fund
- Work from Home Space Stipends
- Parental Leave [Primary & Secondary]
- BuiltIns Best Places to Work (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Best Digital Bank, Finovate Awards (2020)
- Tearsheet Challenge Awards, Best Banking Card Product - Stock-Back Card, 2020
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019 & 2020)
**No recruiters, please**