Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, fasterand most importantlymore accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now were funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- Weve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each persons perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe its important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passionfrom employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Technical Writer to join the tech team! We are a fast paced team that values communication and documentation. We are looking for someone who can codify these practices and bring our documentation to the next level!
As a Technical Writer you will help produce concise and accurate documentation of our features, guidelines and capabilities. You will also guide others how to coordinate and create their writing. You will be part of our Core Tech team, working alongside engineers who focus on reliability, infrastructure, testing and developer efficiency. Core Tech products are used by the entire engineering organization at Better every day to be productive and in turn build outstanding experiences for homeowners. Projects that you could own as part of this role:
- Help us build outstanding onboarding documentation so that we make a good first impression with new members of our engineering team.
- Works across the company with engineers, managers and directors to source and produce content for our engineering blog.
- Help us coordinate our existing documentation by refining our document management taxonomy.
- Build templates for documentation so that engineers can write them with less effort. This could include runbooks, debugging guides, maintenance emails and architectural decisions.
- Define the processes and tools for producing documentation.
- At least 6-7 years working in a content development role. Must have spent this much time writing expertly. This might mean developing content in a software support, development, or QA role
- Writing process or planning documents, or writing technical blogs or books
- Produced end-user documentation for a software application or technology
- Must have written the actual product documentation
- Authored content targeted to software developers. You must have a basic understanding of a developer audience and how they work
- Used a markup language to author content like Markdown, wikitext, or similar lightweight markup language
- Be comfortable using source control such as GitHub and understand check-in/check-out processes
- Be comfortable in a Mac environment for authoring content
- Needs to be a self-starter who is interested in coming into a role that is not 100% defined and working with the team to establish the role within the team and company
- They dont need to be as strong as an engineer but they should be familiar with one or two technology sets for building web applications and understand the basics of client/server communication over HTTP
- Comfortable reading basic code in one or more languages. Should be able to look at source code and answer basic questions about inputs and outputs. Again not as fast as an engineer
- Experience using command line tools and is comfortable with the basics of a CLI environment and how engineers use it in their day-to-day
- Able to write basic scripts and REST examples. Given access to the internet, should be able to produce simple scripts from scratch or tweak existing ones for hitting endpoints. Can construct the payloads to test endpoints, for example
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do whats in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itselfwe continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Weve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a persons merit, business needs, and role requirements.