Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
As a Security Data Engineer at Benchling youll be joining a team responsible for building a best-in-class security program from the ground up. Our focus is on providing value to the organization by emphasizing real world security and embracing automation to keep up with the company as we experience hypergrowth. Were looking for engineers who are excited to apply their expertise to our mission of securing some of society's most sensitive data.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Designing, constructing, testing and maintaining a robust, reliable, and scalable security data pipeline infrastructure.
- Partnering with Security Incident Response Engineers on threat detection engineering (e.g alerts, searches, reports, etc.).
- Partnering with the multiple engineering teams on internal and customer facing security and privacy initiatives, ensuring that security data accessibility, quality, and reliability are taken into account.
- Employing an array of technological tools to integrate with 3rd-party data systems.
- Partnering with Security Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Software Engineering on security feature roadmaps and security architecture.
- Researching new detection mechanisms for attack vectors and techniques relevant to our space and presenting findings to both internal and external audiences.
- Developing set processes for data mining, data modeling, and data production.
- Partnering with Security Incident Response Engineers during incident response and investigations.
- Evaluating external tooling, developing new automation and tooling.
- Helping to rapidly scale our team. As a member of the security team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our own tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- 5-10 years of working on backend infrastructure/data systems or with application/infrastructure logging pipelines
- 4+ years of those years of experience in Security Engineering or related experience
- Experience writing code, designing systems and data workflows, optimizing data processing algorithms, and systems to support security data analytics.
- In-Depth knowledge of AWS cloud infrastructure and its associated security suites (e.g., IAM, GuardDuty, Inspector, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, etc)
- Familiarity with modern infrastructure technologies such as: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Cloudformation, Kinesis.
- Relevant development experience in at least one scripting language, preferably Python
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw Security data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Detection and Response experience (Detection Engineering, Digital Forensics, Incident Response, and/or Threat Intelligence)
- Technical leadership skills (you enjoy being a tech lead, mentoring technologists, evangelizing security and privacy)
- Plus: Contributions to the security community via talks, papers, blogs, projects, CVEs, etc.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.