Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
As the second member of our in-house communications team, you will play a pivotal role in shaping our communications program from the ground up, from crafting compelling pitches and building relationships with media to managing product launches and contributing to internal communications. Our ideal candidate is equal parts strategic and scrappy you can articulate the big picture while driving stories from concept to launch. This is a tremendous career opportunity where youll learn the ins and outs of building a comms function at a fast-growing startup.
This role reports to our Head of Communications and is located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Proactively secure media coverage about Benchlings business and financial momentum, product announcements, and company culture
- Cultivate relationships with key business, tech, and biotech trade media to identify opportunities for Benchling to share our point of view and provide valuable data insights
- Partner closely with internal team members across marketing and leaders across the organization to align on narratives, source whats needed for storytelling, and generate messaging
- Elevate our executive communications efforts through ghostwriting and media training
- Draft and update our communications strategy and materials, including press releases, briefing documents, FAQs, fact sheets, and more
- Support our Head of Communications in managing and collaborating with multiple external agencies
- Oversee an awards, events, and speaking strategy that puts Benchling leaders in the right position to build our brand with the right audiences
- Regularly track media coverage, evaluate the impact of our programs, and report PR results
- Been there and done lots of that: 8+ years of corporate communications experience spanning in-house and agency settings, preferably with a focus in B2B tech or biotech
- Allergic to jargon: Proven track record translating technical concepts into stories for a mainstream audience
- Unfazed by the unknown: Tenacious yet graceful under pressure, youre comfortable navigating ambiguity and transforming complicated ideas into creative stories
- Takes the drivers seat: Demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally, set priorities, and drive multiple projects simultaneously from start to finish
- Plays PR like a team sport: Adept at building and maintaining positive relationships with all kinds of stakeholders: colleagues, executive leaders, agencies, and reporters. Youre humble, nimble, and willing to jump in wherever youre needed
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.