By applying to this position, your application is automatically considered for the range of Data Science roles we have at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who we are
Our Marketing Data Science team drives development of world-class ML systems that improve our customer understanding and marketing decisions. We build innovative DS products and services that enhance our customer experience, improve customer loyalty, and ultimately grow our business. We have a modern tech stack including sophisticated capabilities around AI, data science, causal inference and personalization. Were a highly collaborative, supportive team that values learning, psychological safety and intentional career development.
As a senior manager, you'll be working to push the boundary of approaches to causal inference with rich, high-volume customer data, identifying drivers of business growth beyond of A/B testing. With engineering partners you'll implement these best-in-class approaches as scalable solutions to drive broad impact across marketing, operations, and storefront. This role is an opportunity to lead how Wayfair approaches work at the intersection of data engineering and statistics.
What youll do
- Define and drive the science vision for a platform-based solution for evaluating the long-term, incremental value of our millions of offerings.
- Lead R&D effort to develop innovative causal inference approaches that will extend current capabilities and scale our platform to new use cases.
- Work highly cross-functionally with business leadership, stakeholders, and partner data science and engineering teams to drive the integration of model outputs into company-wide business decision-making and existing production systems.
- Developing robust solutions to infer or recover causal relationships from observational data, in a way that minimizes self-selection or third-variable problems.
- Scope and prioritize new business or stakeholders needs, balancing between delivering MVP solutions and working towards long term platform development
- Develop and own communication strategy for both technical and business stakeholders (including product roadmap, planning, executive documentation, and progress updates)
- Act as a subject matter expert and thought leader on experimentation and causal inference techniques; research industry trends and best practices and bring them to life at Wayfair.
- Engage in the interview process and otherwise develop, grow, and mentor junior scientists; provide mentorship and technical guidance to develop your team as well to influence broader DS organization.
Who you are
- Advanced degree (Master or PhD) in Economics, Statistics or other quantitative field with an emphasis on causal inference and/or experimental design.
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional data or research scientist. Consistent track record of autonomous delivery of DS/ML projects that drive measurable business impact.
- Collaborative team player who wants to see themselves and others thrive.
- Expertise in causal inference and interest in bringing best-in-class solutions to e-commerce space.
- Takes a customer-centric approach to ideation and problem-solving
- Track-record of influencing non-technical stakeholders on strategic direction by leveraging data-driven insights; excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strategic thinker with a customer-centric mindset and a desire for creative problem solving, looking to make a big impact in a growing organization
- Proficient in one or more programming languages, e.g. Python, R, etc.
- Experience with GCP (BigQuery, GCS, Dataproc, Notebooks), Airflow, and containerization (Docker)
- Experience building scalable data processing pipelines with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, SQL, Spark, etc.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.