Hometap empowers current and prospective homeowners to access their home's equity without the burden of debt. Our first product allows homeowners to tap into the built-in value of their home to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, pay for college tuition, or help family members.
Were on a mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible by treating homeowners like CEOs of their household, and to make home equity investing as common as borrowing to finance a home is today. We also aspire to build a long-lasting, durable financial technology company that makes a positive mark on the Boston economy and beyond.
Hometap makes investments in homes, buying an equity stake against the homes future value. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership. Were scaling rapidly and we have begun expanding our platform to support forthcoming products, complex data science-driven pricing, and investment structure permutations. Our solution leverages advanced data and analytics as we create best-in-class experiences for our homeowners as well as our business and asset capital partners.
Who You Are:
The Data Science team at Hometap ensures we are making the right investments in the right homeowners and homes across the country. Our comprehensive roadmap includes building and deploying models to predict most aspects of a homeowners journey with us in an effort to streamline the process for the homeowner and maximize investor value.
A Senior Data Scientist is more than just good at building machine learning models, they are an analyst, researcher, storyteller, project planner, and more. Your work combines identifying the right data sources and building the models to inform decisions; from marketing targeting, to underwriting, to portfolio management. Youll have the opportunity to work cross-functionally as part of a broader data team led by a Head of Data Science and Analytics with deep experience building and leading data teams at finance startups. More than anything, we are seeking data scientists who are driven to deliver business impact.
What Youll Do:
- Drive the business forward through data-driven decision-making built on sound analysis and models
- Utilize your data science expertise to ensure we are correctly assessing potential homes and homeowners for our portfolio; understand and model a Homeowners propensity for financial responsibility, and determine potential property appreciation relative to other homes within our markets.
- Perform deep dive analyses of processes and data to determine key drivers and relay those results to stakeholders.
- Work closely with Data Engineering and Business Intelligence to source data, understand what that data is telling us, and present those results to the organization
What Youll Bring:
- Strong knowledge of residential real estate and/or finance and related data sources
- Evidenced ability to understand business needs quickly and identify and prioritize data science efforts to deliver impact
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to work effectively with business partners
- Demonstrated ability to source, access, and clean data, and to build models using that data from linear regression to advanced ML models
- Demonstrated ability to analyze large data sets that may not be clean, and deliver compelling insights to technical and non-technical audiences
- 5+ years experience building ML models in Python
- Experience productionalizing models
- Statistical analysis methodologies with visualization skills
- 5+ years experience with SQL and/or NoSQL data warehouses, including cloud-based distributed storage and compute.
- Masters degree or PhD in computer science, data science, economics, statistics, or related field
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is what you bring to our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up their sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If youre someone who embraces this builder mentality, youll be right at home here.