We are looking for a Data Scientist to join the Marketplace Economics team. We use econometrics, analytics, big data, statistics, and machine learning to coach suppliers and delight customers.
Our team spans many data science domains. We are: economists who design strategies, model and test responses to them (structural modeling and causal inference), machine learning scientists who build predictive models (supervised and unsupervised), data engineers who build distributed ETL pipelines and robust data products for customer- and supplier-facing platforms, and product partners that align our solutions with what will benefit Wayfair/customers/suppliers. We are looking for a generalist that is eager to grow in and collaborate across all of these domains.
- Value respect, inclusion, collaboration, integrity, and grit.
- Make decisions based on what is long-term best for Wayfair, its customers and suppliers. Not what is short-term best or best for our team.
- Provide and seek feedback. We care personally about the team and challenge directly to ensure we always raise each others standards.
- Empower and sponsor colleagues.
- Stay nimble by simplifying solutions to quickly iterate upon.
- Seek different perspectives to make better decisions.
- Embrace people for who they are, what they are interested in, and their unique strengths no matter their background.
- Accomplish a large amount of high impact work.
What Youll Do
- Design machine learning models to predict user behaviors and implement experiments to measure how they respond to Wayfairs strategies.
- Build recommendation systems that empower customers and suppliers to actively engage with Wayfair platforms.
- Scope concrete data science solutions to ambiguous business problems.
- Uncover insights in our vast repository of user clickstream, pricing and product data and provide tactical guidance on how to act on findings.
- Collaborate with economists, machine learning scientists, data engineers, and product stakeholders to ensure the end-to-end success of your solutions.
- Communicate the value of your work through logical, cohesive stories.
- Mentor and empower junior data scientists.
What Youll Need
- The ability to learn fast, a willingness to work hard, integrity, grit, compassion, and a team-first attitude.
- Genuine interest in the happiness, well-being, and success of everyone on your team.
- Ability to effectively work with business leads and data scientists: strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts, and desire to influence business decisions
- Masters and 2+ years of experience in a quantitative or technical work environment OR PhD in quantitative field (e.g. data science, mathematics, economics, computer science, engineering, physics, neuroscience, operations research, etc.)
- Proficient at one or more programming languages, e.g. Python, R, etc. Experience using these to build machine learning models or run econometrics.
- Prior experience building data processing pipelines. For example, with tools such as SQL, Hive, Spark, BigQuery, or Airflow.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.