Senior Engineer- Catalog Engineering, Merchandising
We construct software products that enable building the largest findable home goods selection in the market, merchandised perfectly for our end users. We define, capture, structure and serve accurate product content, delivering it with appropriate nuance at scale, to help customers find what they want, confidently purchase and be delighted with their choices
- Wayfair has rich descriptive data about its products, sometimes more than 150 pieces of structured and unstructured data per product. We are working to convert a legacy monolith into a service mesh, where product data can be accessed in real time at scale using Java, Kafka, and Apollo Federation GraphQL.
- We are working processes which allow us to apply machine learning models to automatically generate more robust data based on the descriptive data and media which the supplier has given us. We are working to process product data in real time at scale, using Python, Kafka, and Apollo Federation GraphQL.
- Wayfair sells many highly configurable products, such as made-to-order upholstery and custom-framed wall art. Many of these products possess tens of thousands (sometimes even billions!) of uniquely salable variations; we are building a framework which facilitates onboarding and sales of these complex products in a way that is comprehensible to our end users.
- We are constructing a catalog gateway to serve not only engineering teams within our department, but to further act as an accelerator for other Wayfair teams who wish to interact with the catalog in a streamlined, consistent way. We are developing shared utilities and practices which enable best practices and ensure alignment and prioritization of technical concerns across the catalog landscape.
What Youll Do:
- As a Senior Software Engineer, youll be responsible for leading technical roadmaps, design, and implementation within a team of high performing engineers that will shape the future of e-Commerce
- Propose and own initiatives to completion while balancing various technical trade offs including speed to delivery vs ongoing maintainability and others.
- Provide high quality code reviews and scalable architectural designs
- Mentor new hires and other engineers to help them become more proficient by example, tech talks, paired programming, and other avenues to increase technical efficiency across the organization
What Youll Need:
- Passion for leading a large, cross-cutting technical initiative to delivery, cross-functional consensus building and influencing design decisions
- Ample experience gathering requirements from business stakeholders and deriving software requirements
- Experience mentoring engineers and leading code reviews
- Proficient in designing systems at scale and relational database schema design
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders alike
- Proficient in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.