Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test the highest-rated, most accurate on the market enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the worlds only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embarks Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
This is an exciting phase in our growth! Embarks engineering team is rapidly growing and we are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to help hire, mentor, and grow engineers in an area critical to our long-term success. In this role, you will partner with other leaders to hire a talented team of engineers tasked with building our next-generation scientific and data platforms. These platforms will be central to our ability to deliver new insights for our customers that help them better care for their beloved dogs. While this is not a hands-on coding role, you will lean on your software and systems experience to help grow and lead your team. You will report directly to the Sr. Director of Engineering and will work closely with your counterparts in Product and Science to build an amazing team and platform.
What youll do:
- Hire, manage and develop the engineers on your team
- Partner effectively with product managers and tech leads to maintain and execute against the product roadmap
- Oversee and improve agile ceremonies and our ability to ensure reliable delivery
- Be the primary enabler and advocate for the team by helping them remove impediments and implement best practices
- Host regular 1:1s with all direct reports which include consistent and actionable feedback
- Conduct annual performance reviews
- Be accountable for the success of the team including progress towards milestones and for successful outcomes for users
What experience were looking for:
- 7+ years software engineering experience
- 4+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience hiring and growing engineering teams to meet business needs
- Strong track record of delivering high-quality software and systems, in a fast-paced environment, while leading teams of 5+ engineers
- Experience managing teams developing data science / machine learning systems and/or data processing pipelines
- Experience with cloud computing technologies from a major provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience with relational (Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server) and/or non-relational databases (DynamoDB, HBase, Bigtable, DocumentDB)
- Expertise in implementing and improving agile-based development methodologies
- Experience with active performance management to help engineers across the performance spectrum (under performers to top performers)
- Strong written and verbal communication, with a bias toward action and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage and manage internal and external stakeholders across all levels of seniority.
Experience that is Nice to Have (but not required):
- Experience in designing, building, testing, maintaining, and operating large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with systems in genetics/bioinformatics or a related field
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but were passionate about people too. Were committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (e.g. work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.