Motional is looking for a Senior Human Factors Researcher to help us deliver a superior product and user experience for our state-of-the-art technology. Youll apply a data-driven approach to give our product team a deep level understanding of our products and users allowing us to prioritize and build the most meaningful solutions. Explore and analyze user experience and product performance data, develop goals and tracking metrics, and ensure product priorities are data-driven. Leverage your deep analytics expertise, understanding of product health and the user experience to ensure we launch high quality and reliable products to the market.
Please submit your resume, and at least 3 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the bustling Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What you'll be doing:
- Youll provide data-driven insights that help shape our product strategy, vision, and roadmap.
- Lead research projects within key areas of our team, such as remote vehicle assistance, ride quality, and others
- Act as a subject matter expert on our team, in both quantitative/scientific and qualitative research
- Plan, lead, and conduct quantitative research studies to evaluate ergonomics, usability, and effectiveness of HMI in physical and digital environments
- Analyze product effectiveness using tools such as eye tracking, driver monitoring systems, and other scientific tools and methods to gain insight on user behavior
- Collaborate directly with team leadership on team goals, approach, and direction.
- Partner with Engineering and Product Teams to design and develop experiments to test hypotheses, iterate and implement changes in existing products to improve quality and reduce risk.
- Partner with qualitative user researchers to help quantify their insights and develop new ones.
- Understand our users behaviors, needs, and goals - using a wide range of quantitative research techniques including surveys, A/B tests, data analysis, validation and visualization.
- Analyze current product processes to continually identify areas for efficiencies and improvements.
- Conduct ad hoc analysis based on business questions, owning end-to-end projects including design, data collection, analysis, recommendations and presentation.
- Conduct correlative analyses to understand the relationship between product usage and business outcomes, partnering with Product and Engineering to design experiments.
- Deliver detailed and actionable research findings, and partnering closely with designers and product managers to gain clear buy-in.
- Utilize strong problem solving and project management techniques.
- Help define how users will interact with the future of mobility!
What we're looking for:
- A scientific research degree such as Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Psychology, Statistics, or Engineering (advanced degree preferred) or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years professional experience in an analytical research role
- Experience leveraging data analytics to drive insights and applying analysis and insights to business decisions
- Knowledge of statistics (experimental design, statistical analysis, hypothesis testing)
- Experience exploring data and/or delivering reports via enterprise data visualization software
- Significant experience in experimental design (e.g. A/B testing) and analysis methods
- Excellent communication and data storytelling skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally to achieve results
- Product Analytics experience preferred
- Experience working within a cross functional team alongside product managers, designers, engineers etc. in a fast-paced agile environment (i.e. software company, startup, etc.)
- Ability to clearly communicate your findings, and justify recommendations to different levels within an organization, including c-level executives.
- Good understanding of interaction design, user experience design, and hardware/software engineering processes
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches to conduct research and user testing, given our product space
Bonus points (not required):
- Ph.D. level education in a field related to robotics, HMI, etc.
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle or automotive industry
Why you should join us:
This role offers the opportunity to work on extremely challenging problems that havent been solved at scale. Were looking for someone excited to tackle problems such as how do we make a person feel comfortable with riding in a car thats driving itself? How can we manage a fleet of robotic vehicles moving around a city? How do we make vehicles accessible without a human to help? Our team is driven, not afraid, to solve problems like this.
Motionals Product Team, where this role sits, is at the forefront of setting the vision for our products from the experience of riding in an autonomous vehicle, to how to manage a fleet, to how roads are mapped, and more. We lead with a user-focused mindset, and as a Quantitative Researcher, youll have a direct impact in shaping the strategic direction of our company, and the future of mobility as a whole.
Lastly, while autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing players, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.
Rewards and advantages:
- Competitive compensation with bonus potential
- Competitive health benefits
- 401K with matching contribution
- Unlimited PTO
- Commuter benefits
- Discount programs and gym/health club reimbursement
- Opportunities to give back to the community
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Meaningful work that makes a difference in the world
- And much more!
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. Were behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, its imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motionals success. Thats why weve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.