Chewy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer - Java for our Pet Health team in Boston, MA. As a Senior Software Engineer you will have development and operational oversight over major systems at Chewy. You will be in charge of evaluating new technologies, designing, developing impactful software capabilities to enhance or create new functionality needed to grow Chewy. You will have the opportunity to be part of a high performing engineering team where we value broad-based technical skills in cloud-based services, databases, security, server less technologies, and more.
What Youll Do:
- Architect a resilient system for a customer-facing web application from scratch
- You will have responsibility over major components of Chewys architecture both development and operational needs. You will be the go-to engineer for your part of the platform
- You will be responsible for ensuring your systems are fully CICD and have responsibility of a plan to get to CICD if not there yet.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Conduct design and code reviews and raise the bar on engineering rigor and standard
- Debug production issues across services and tech stack
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services
- You will participate in setting guidelines for evolving development practices, as well as mentoring junior engineers.
What Youll Need:
- Bachelors Degree (MIS or CS preferred) or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience in an object-oriented language such as Java with 3+ years as hands-on Software Architect
- Minimum 5 years of software development in Java8/Spring Boot stack
- Minimum of 3 years of cloud architecture and service development experience
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale or current hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience
- Be a hands-on Engineer spending significant percentage of their time writing code or debugging tricky issues
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills & a working knowledge of design patterns
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce
- Position may require travel
Bonus (if applicable):
- Experience in e-commerce
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus
- Good communication skills with both technical and business audiences
- Experience with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Strong background with modern tools and environments (e.g., JSON 3 API, Chaos Engineering, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools)
- Experience with OpenAPI, Swagger, or stoplight.io
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform or Ansible
- Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, Powershell)
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected].
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com