What You’ll Do
You will build and lead the Media Understanding organization in Cortex Signals comprising two teams of diverse, smart, and driven computer vision and machine learning modelers and engineers. We’re looking for a leader who can manage an engineering manager for a computer vision team and also manage a team of modelers and engineers directly.
You will partner with product management, technical leads and partners and customer teams to build a high-value roadmap of innovation for your organization. You will partner with recruiting to hire computer vision and ML experts and developers into your team. You will put mechanisms in place to ensure your organization delivers results. You will lead by example to build your organizational culture in keeping with Twitter’s culture. You will partner with technical leads and guide modelers and engineers with your technical expertise by contributing to design reviews and ideation. You will mentor, coach and grow people.
You will work with our machine learning modelers and ML engineers and managers to innovate and build new models and systems, improve and enhance existing ML systems as well as discover new opportunities to apply machine learning to solve critical problems. Your responsibilities will include:
Technical direction and guidance: You will set a compelling technical vision and direction that adds substantial customer value. You will partner with your technical lead to provide technical guidance and support to your teams. You will delegate technical decisions effectively but will own responsibility for architecture and technical decisions within your teams.
Recruitment: You will hire expert Computer Vision, x and ML modelers and engineers to grow your team
Mentoring: Mentor the professional development of each direct report including one or more engineering managers through personal and performance management. Establish regular 1:1s with direct reports. Craft individual improvement/goal plans with each direct report and ensure that they receive regular, documented feedback.
Planning / Alignment: Plan and collaborate with other teams Twitter in delivering impactful changes, whilst working together with other Cortex teams for the long term.
Provide oversight: Work with engineers and modelers to understand how everything fits together and how best to deliver meaningful impact. Understand when ML is applicable and when it is not, and what are the risks.
Execution: You will help ensure your teams deliver projects on time and with high quality. You will balance short term and long term priorities.
Collaboration: You will build strong relationships with your customers and partners. You will productively resolve conflicts and ensure your teams collaborate with others to deliver the right results even when faced with differing opinions and priorities
Cross functional management: Work closely with other teams from across the company to deliver impactful projects which may involve multiple disciplines. Also work with other managers in the office to build upon the office culture and ensure a healthy workplace environment.
Who You Are
• You are a leader and strong people manager looking to serve the team and achieve team goals.
• You have prior experience as an Computer Vision modeler/scientist/researcher and are familiar with the workflow and motivations of machine learning modelers and engineers.
• You are a strong source of machine learning and engineering talent and are comfortable closing applicants for your team and the business.
• You are a coach who hires, develops and retains exceptional ML Talent.
• You have technical depth in computer vision and machine learning and see the “big picture”. You understand the differences in technical disciplines (particularly on ML side), and which problems are for ML to solve and which are not.
• You are up to date with recent developments in computer vision and are familiar with current trends in the wider ML community.
• You have proven execution track record that is customer-centric in prioritization - looking to deliver projects that serve the company’s needs and understand the impact.
• You are a good communicator with clear and concise, active listening and empathy skills.
• You are motivated by leading your teams to greater impact and are highly customer-focused.
• You collaborate well with teams with different backgrounds / expertise / functions.
• You bring a strong perspective that motivates engineers to develop simple, pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
• You have the technical experience to win respect from ML modelers and engineers and Computer Vision experts and are comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution.
• 5+ years of experience managing computer vision and machine learning teams including 2+ years experience managing teams of 15+ people and including 2+ years of experience managing managers
• 5+ years of experience as a hands on expert-level practitioner of computer vision and machine learning. You have built large scale computer vision models and systems in production. You are familiar with state of the art techniques in computer vision. Having conducted research and published peer-reviewed articles in a relevant field is a plus.
• Masters degree in Computer Science, Applied Math or other related disciplines with a focus on computer vision. PhD in computer vision preferred.
• Understand cost of software development / tech debt and long-term maintenance.
• Experience driving impact through cross-functional leadership.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong analytical abilities.
• You have a get stuff done attitude, have great positive energy, and thrive in a fast paced environment.
• You are passionate about technology and can keep up with the latest developments.
• You have a respectful, collaborative approach that earns the trust of your peers and stakeholders.
• You invest in the learning and growth of the people you lead.
• You communicate effectively.
Media Understanding teams apply and advance state of the art computer vision and machine learning techniques to invent new models and systems that understand image, video and audio content to improve various Twitter experiences for our customers. We tackle Twitter specific challenges in computer vision such as the real-time, ever changing nature of our data and limited context.
We are part of Cortex, the central machine learning organization at Twitter. Our mission is to build models and services that extract value from Twitter data and use it to improve our product experiences for Twitter users.