The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work directly as a member of our multidisciplinary product development team, applying their mechanical expertise to implement truly novel solutions to solve customer challenges. They will work independently to creatively develop pieces of the system alongside the other engineering disciplines to ensure a cohesive system design. Responsibilities will focus on launching new products into production and supporting systems fielded at customer sites, as well as managing technical progress at contract manufacturers and strategic supply partners.
- Works closely with all engineering competency teams to modify existing designs, create new designs, and produce the documentation necessary to assure their quality, repeatable manufacture.
- Participates in all phases of projects, including, but not limited to: Requirements definition, prototyping, design, integration & test, deployment, installation, and support as required.
- Internalizes the notion of ownership, displays the qualities of a self-starter and proactive problem solver throughout a project from conceptualization to customer acceptance.
- Hosts design reviews in formal and informal settings on project and across projects to enhance the quality of system designs seeking feedback across various engineering competencies as part of each engineering process stage.
- Coordinates activities with customers, subcontractors, suppliers, manufacturing, quality, and other support partners.
- Travel 10% to 20% to suppliers, other Berkshire Grey offices, and customers as necessary to support build and installation of projects.
- Desire to get your hands dirty prototyping using hand tools and common shop equipment.
Skills and Technical Requirements:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, MS preferred.
- Relevant Robotic design experience.
- Experience with various volume production processes (prototype to high quantity production).
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and PDM for detail design and data management.
- AutoCAD experience for interfacing with customers and understanding high level facility layouts.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback across organizational levels.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14 drafting standards and machine shop/manufacturing processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity or ability to learn JIRA, Confluence, and Omnify.
- Demonstrated ability to work across projects to meet project timelines.
- Ability to interface with customers and sales and adapt to new ideas and compromises.
- Previous experience with material handling system design, motion control systems, sensors, actuators and robotic mechanisms.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Mass production experience of complex electromechanical assemblies (DFM, DFA).
- Knowledge of FMEA, DFM/A, Six Sigma.
- Weldment, Sheet metal design experience.
- Knowledge of molding and casting technologies for plastic and metal materials.
- Tolerance analysis and strong understanding of GD&T.
- Test stand development and validation testing.
- Programming (C++, Python).
- System or topology optimization.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We are a venture-backed company that combines artificial intelligence and intelligent robotics to change the way companies do business. Our company includes a team of world class technology experts recruited from centers of excellence including iRobot, Amazon, Uber, Tesla, Kiva Systems, Google, Microsoft, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Rethink Robotics, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, and others. Prior work by this team resulted in more than 30 commercial products and billions of dollars in product revenue. Simply put, our team knows how to produce disruptive products that generate value for our customers.
As a company, we work hard and are creating material impact with our customers. Some would feel the need to say, “we work hard and play hard.” At Berkshire Grey our work is so rewarding that most of us finish a day and think “what could be more amazing?” Our culture is highly collaborative and open, the technical problems are challenging, the business opportunities are magnificent, and the value of your work to the customers and to the world is clear. Indeed, what could be better?
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Benefits include: medical and related insurance, 401k with generous vesting and match models, and a well stocked kitchen.