Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test the highest-rated, most accurate on the market enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the worlds only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embarks Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
About the role:
Are you a seasoned designer looking to join a new product development team? Do you get excited about the potential to make an impact on the lives of dogs and their veterinarians? Look no further than this op-paw-tunity.
As the first product design hire focused on this new product area, you will have ownership of and act as the central design resource to support product discovery efforts, work with stakeholders to understand their needs, design innovative new digital solutions alongside product and engineering team members, and validate that your design has achieved its goals.
What youll do:
- Serve as the go-to product design person for concepting, designing, and executing a best-in-class product that integrates into and enhances the veterinarians' practice and enables them to translate genetic results into clinical actions
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers, Marketers, and end users (veterinarians) to research, define, and execute against requirements and new features that deliver value and are technically feasible
- Design simple, elegant experiences that balance the needs between the science, the veterinarian, and pet owners
- Ship, measure, and improve your designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback
- Identify future opportunities, working as a key thought partner among your counterparts in product, engineering, and stakeholder teams
- This position is based on Boston, MA and should expect 2 days in-office starting in April.
What experience were looking for:
- 5+ years of end-to-end product design experience, especially within a product ecosystem
- Experience scaling digital products a is plus
- Thrive in an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback from internal stakeholders and a variety of users
- An online portfolio that demonstrates your skills across design disciplines and practices; product thinking, UX, UI, research, etc.
- Experience designing end-to-end web products in collaboration with Product and Engineering teammates
- Proficiency with wire framing and prototyping tools (we use Figma)
- Experience designing products and features from concept to commercialization
- Demonstrated ability to build a research strategies, write interview guides, facilitate user studies, and utilize platforms like UserTesting.com
- Experience conducting design activities in or designing for a clinical setting (veterinary, human medical or dental) is a plus, but not required
What we can offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but were passionate about people too. Were committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.