Senior Software Development Engineer in Test, Catalog Media
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Category: Quality Assurance (QA)
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong passion for software testing and quality practices, with a demonstrable specialization in test automation and implementing best practices throughout the SDLC. You will understand when to and not to apply different levels of test, show an understanding of application and system architecture, possess detailed knowledge of practical code design, use diplomatic communication skills, and influence best practices for testability across your team(s) to create a test-first mindset within Wayfair. You will aim for simple, scalable solutions where possible, and demonstrate the ability to think creatively and critically with both deep and broad knowledge of test-architecture and software development.
What Youll Do:
- You will influence teams roadmaps, architecture, processes, and practices to improve quality and testability.
- You will identify and introduce new tools and technologies to be successfully adopted by the broader development function.
- You will lead your teammates by example, as a senior member of the team, sharing your knowledge, experience, and practical results across multiple teams, through broader teachings or direct mentorship, as part of Wayfair's culture of collaboration.
- You will use data to measure and improve the effectiveness of testing at all stages of the SDLC.
- You will use your knowledge and experience in test automation to determine the best type of automated test to implement, such as API, Integration, component, contract, or end-to-end testing, based on the needs of the team, product, and customer.
- You will design and develop cutting-edge solutions which allow for reuse and extensibility while still solving the primary problem at scale, anticipating areas for improvement and highlighting them for inclusion on the teams project roadmap.
- You will advocate for quality alongside engineering and business stakeholders throughout all phases of the SDLC, provide guidance, and build a strong understanding of our services.
- You will have a test automation-first mindset, build solutions for multiple services, develop code alongside the team, and demonstrate testability concepts for your peers through your code and test architecture designs.
What Youll Need:
- You have at least 8+ years of experience working as a Quality Engineer, Automation Engineer, or SDeT with hands-on experience with unit, integration, component, contract, and end-to-end testing.
- You have deep knowledge about various testing strategies applicable in a microservice architecture and have hands-on experience implementing these strategies.
- You have served as a leader or mentor for team members and peers in testing methodologies, with experience in proactively sharing information of best practices.
- You are strongly motivated to apply technical skills to solve tough problems and propose creative solutions with automation, finding the best solution for the needs of the team while driving best practices in testing.
- You have an understanding of how systems fit together, with experience in consuming and contributing to new or existing systems to create test strategies for scalable success of the system and its parts.
- You have a strong attention to detail, ability to prioritize tasks and work autonomously, and an adaptive personality with the ability to function within a fast-paced environment.
- You have excellent communication skills, with demonstrated experience driving teams forward and the ability to influence key decisions in high-growth environments.
Experience with most of the following would also be a plus:
- You have worked in Test-driven development.
- You have experience in pipeline creation and development for testing in a CI environment, using tools such as Buildkite or Jenkins.
- You have a strong, functioning knowledge of Agile Scrum.
- You have hands-on experience with performance testing methodologies.
- You have experience with containerization and web services preferred.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.