Our goal is to make software development at Wayfair a delightful experience! As a Software Engineer you will be part of a team that has a direct impact on more than 3,500 software engineers. Our Service Frameworks organization builds our core microservice frameworks, tools, libraries and infrastructure across the entire Java ecosystem at Wayfair. Our products are used across all of Wayfair engineering daily.
In this role, you will be designing and implementing our core microservice technology frameworks. You and the team will own the design, delivery and operation of everything you create. You will partner with customers across the Wayfair organization and drive adoption of your products and help customers execute on their strategy. You can expect to meet with, strategize, and execute on embedded projects with teams to improve their patterns and practices, across our engineering departments.
What Youll Do:
- Architect and write robust, well tested code for major team initiatives using Java, Bash, SQL, etc.
- Design scalable systems using Java, Kubernetes, Kafka, GCP, Hadoop, Mssql, and other technologies
- Design and build new tooling, frameworks, and infrastructure that reduce the friction for automated testing at Wayfair
- Educate, mentor, and help provide support to the Java engineering community
- Advocate for and evangelize test across a variety of different engineering teams and work cultures
- Create a culture of collaboration with key stakeholders and service providers. Assists in keeping the teams knowledge of our technology landscape current
- Collaborate with Engineering Leaders to create and update project plans, coordinate efforts and resources on projects, as necessary.
- Experience providing feedback from the engineering organization to our team on the pain points of existing solutions
What Youll Need:
- Breadth - Substantial experience as an Engineer across multiple environments on distributed systems using Java or another JVM language (4+ years)
- At least one project that demonstrate prowess in designing, implementing, and operating large scale, high throughput, low latency distributed systems
- At least one project that encompasses defining and designing reliable, scalable, distributed systems running on Kubernetes
- Depth - You can go up and down the stack from deep in the infrastructure up to the data, application, and client layers
- Speed - Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction
- Ownership and accountability - You own the things that you build
- Drive - When you see a need, you fill a need. You can step in where you see a need and push us all forward
Experience with most of the following would also be a plus:
- Have built two platforms using at least one big data technology (Relational and/or Non-relational)
- Demonstrated experience building solutions around CI, release management, deployment, and monitoring (2 years+)
- One project focused on tools and enable the workflows of other developers
- Open source contributions to a few major projects
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.