Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, decor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes from product discovery to final delivery.
We are seeking a senior software engineer to join the Data Platforms Engineering organization (Database Technologies team) to be part of a team building a large scale online datastore platform. The Data Platforms team runs and provides a variety of scalable relational datastores, data movement solutions, metadata management services and related systems. Our main responsibility is building and operating systems for online data access, data reliability and high availability of a wide array of structured and unstructured datastores and data processing/compute for the purpose of providing online business operation capabilities. The vision for the data movement platform is to provide a scalable platform for requesting, provisioning and managing database infrastructure as-a-service, helping thousands of engineers to get their software products to market faster than ever.
The ideal candidate for this role is an expert in software systems development with expert level knowledge of architecting and building horizontally scalable systems preferably for high speed and high volume data.
What You'll Do
- Design and implement solutions/distributed systems for major business initiatives using Python, Java and .NET Core platforms
- Contribute code to greenfield and existing distributed and centralized services and applications which are utilizing online databases (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.), messaging technologies (Kafka, PubSub, etc.), big data solutions (Big Query, Cloud Storage, BigTable, etc.)
- Fix issues (or discover and document problems) in 3rd-party products such as open-source Python, Java and .NET libraries as well as proprietary technologies
- Act as a subject matter expert on solutions developed and supported by the team
- Educate, mentor, and support the junior developers on the team
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to gather requirements, provide development updates, create/update project plans, etc.
- Participate in team meetings, Agile rituals, planning and scheduling initiatives
- Write and maintain technical documentation, RFCs and collaborate with Engineering Leaders to gather and incorporate feedback
What You'll Need
- 7+ years of Software Development experience in enterprise-level organizations building large scale systems
- Proven expertise in Python and Java/.NET
- Understanding of distributed systems
- Prior experience with Object-Oriented Programming, algorithms, data structures, multithreading, Inter-process Communication (IPC)
- Good understanding of database concepts, application protocols, networking, operating systems, and databases concepts
- Experience with diagnosing and troubleshooting of complex issues
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Experience providing feedback from the engineering organization to our team on the pain points of our solutions
- Strong track record of delivering high-value engineering projects
- Experience in any of the following is a plus
- CI/CD tooling and pipelines
- Docker & Kubernetes
- Open Source contributions
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.