Forward Financing has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing FinTech companies in Boston for the past five years, as recognized by Boston Business Journal, Inc. Magazine, and Deloitte Fast 500. We help small businesses spend less time finding capital and more time helping their customers and managing their businesses. Our mission is to create a world-class FinTech company so that our customers and our people can reach their full potential. We accomplish this by investing in our people, technology, and customer experience with long-term success in mind.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be reporting to our female Head of Technology during a time of dramatic growth, leading agile development teams, developing and architecting robust and scalable modern web solutions, collaborating with leadership and product to tackle sophisticated business problems, creating ways to advance our technology suite, and implementing best engineering practices. This role offers remote flexibility four days a week.
In this role you will:
- Own the technical leadership of your team by building new solutions to drive sustainable and measurable value to the business by:
- Handling the web applications, libraries, systems integrations, and microservices
- Working closely with your product owner to define the technical requirements and implementation plan to satisfy the business objectives
- Provide hands-on management for your engineering squad, and create the foundation for a hard-working, agile unit that can scale to meet the strong demand and exciting opportunities resulting from our explosive growth. Actively drive the simplification, security, and fortification of the platform by:
- Avoiding bugs in correctness-critical areas of the code base
- Finding solutions to increase the testability, engineering ease and extendibility of services across the ecosystem
- Developing components that are well-designed, documented and tested, with a design that matches the desired architecture of the system
- Increase the productivity, predictability, and throughput of the technology team by:
- Participating in, following and improving our development process
- Using good judgment when evaluating tradeoffs between speed, quality, and cost
- Facilitating and sharing standard methodologies, proven experience, documentation, and learning
- Build on the already incredible Forward Financing culture and serving as a positive ambassador for the technology team
Requirements: (Even if you dont check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply.)
- Experience working with strongly typed languages is a plus.
- Experience managing and mentoring engineers and assuming leadership responsibilities
- Experience architecting or developing across complex systems
- Experience managing data and application security requirements AWS and microservices experience is a plus
- Strong communication skills among engineers and partners
Forward Financing Core Values:
- People First We build relationships and support each other.
- We Before Me We prioritize team success over individual success.
- Be Candid We are authentic, honest, and direct.
- Do the Right Thing We act with integrity, and we dont cut corners.
- Continuous Improvement We push ourselves, never settling for the best we did yesterday.
- Be Positive We are optimistic and assume positive intent.
Forward Financing is a Boston-based FinTech company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable capital to small businesses nationwide. Since 2012, Forward Financing has provided over $1.2 billion in financing to nearly 30,000 small businesses. Forward Financing has been consistently named by the Boston Business Journal and Built in Boston as one of the best places to work in Massachusetts.
Forward Financing actively promotes a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do. We encourage a workplace where trust and respect are paramount and all employees feel valued, heard, and accepted. By accepting diversity of thought, background, and identity, we will continue to become a stronger team and a better organization.
We are a diverse and driven group of about 150 people, located in the heart of Bostons Financial District. Our employees come to work knowing they are helping thousands of small businesses while advancing their own careers. If this sounds exciting to you, learn more about our leadership team and our open opportunities.
Perks & Benefits:
At Forward Financing, we believe that if our company succeeds, all of our employees succeed too. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to; medical, dental, vision and commuter benefits along with a flexible time off policy, 401k match, wellness reimbursement, paid volunteering days, annual professional development budget, and charitable donation match.
When we arent on a Zoom meeting, supporting our customers, or working on a project, you can likely find us taking part in a scavenger hunt, a virtual trivia game, or celebrating team wins together!