Motional is looking for a motivated prototyper / creative technologist to aid our product and design team to iterate on design concepts, and validate them with ride hailing users.
You will help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, user-centered, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. You will be on a small, fast-paced agile team, collaborating with other Prototypers, Product Designers, Industrial Designers, User Researchers, Product Managers, and Engineers.
Please submit your resume, and an online or PDF portfolio with at least 3 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the bustling Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What Youll Do:
- Work with our Passenger Experience Designers to develop functional and engaging prototypes for Autonomous Vehicle HMI systems to support user research and testing activities.
- Provide a seamless experience for experimentation with users, and enable decision making on UX concepts
- Bridge the gap between design and software engineering
- Work on different platforms and tools, including low-fi solutions like hacked framer prototypes, up to and including mobile applications
- Collaborate with other prototypers, designers and user researchers to get our experiences tested with users.
- On-the-job creative problem solving to explore and identify potential prototyping solutions.
- Work closely with our UX Designers, User Researchers and Product Managers to plan and execute on our experimentation roadmap
What Youll Bring:
- You are passionate about solving hard problems most havent faced before.
- BS in Interactive Media, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
- Flexible and innovative in choice of tools, picking up new skills and capabilities as unique challenges dictate
- 5+ years of hands-on experience building complex prototypes and applications to advance design thinking and the final product experience
- Experience working within a cross functional product team alongside product managers, ux researchers, engineers etc. in a fast-paced agile environment (i.e. software company, startup, etc.)
- Solid grasp of user interaction and animation principles
- A good eye for detail, with the ability to create high quality responsive interfaces, as well as the ability to quickly prototype low-fi solutions for early concepts
- Experience building solutions for testing with users, and then iterating based on findings
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches and techniques to building prototypes, given our product space
- Experience working with or creating customized tools, used to aid in speeding the design process for less technical teammates
- Experience with VR/AR development, including tools like Unreal and Unity, and languages such as C++, C#
- Experience with hardware hacking/prototyping (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Android)
- Good knowledge of backend systems and architecture
- Experience with Framer
- Specific knowledge around building for accessibility (both prototyping and production)
- Physical>Digital experience (exhibits, LEDs, physical installations, TVs, AVs!)
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle or automotive industry
What We Offer:
This role offers the opportunity to work on extremely challenging problems that havent been solved at scale. Were looking for someone excited to tackle problems such as how do we make a person feel comfortable with riding in a car thats driving itself? How can we build solutions to problems that we cant easily test in the wild? How do we make autonomous vehicles accessible without a human to help? Our team is driven, not afraid, to solve problems like this.
Motionals Product Team, where this role sits, is at the forefront of setting the vision for our products from the experience of riding in an autonomous vehicle, to how to manage a fleet, to how roads are mapped, and more. We lead with a user-focused mindset, and as a Senior UX Software Prototyper youll have a direct impact in shaping the future of mobility as a whole.
Lastly, while autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing players, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.