Chewy is seeking a talented and motivated Staff Software Engineer to join our team in Boston, MA. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will serve as a technical lead to build scalable web applications and frameworks that will power new product features across Chewy.com and mobile. This is an opportunity to be one of the founding engineers of a new team challenged with delivering a greenfield project that will wow our customers and deliver on our mission to be the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere.
What Youll Do:
- Serve as a technical lead on business critical, cross-functional web and mobile projects.
- Design, develop, and implement multiple single page applications (SPAs) and reusable UI components that are responsive.
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the full customer facing experience and application architecture.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Instill engineering excellence in the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability and performance of applications.
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture, and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org.
- Generate and analyze application and customer experience metrics to inform leadership and make data driven decisions.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication and convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
What Youll Need:
- Bachelors in Computer Science, related field, or relevant industry experience.
- 8+ years of industry experience.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills.
- Strong computer science fundamentals (OOP/inheritance/composition, data structures, and algorithms)
- Proficiency in modern web standards, accessibility, internationalization, web security, and privacy.
- Experience developing software in an agile environment with CI/CD.
- Expert understanding how to build UI components and frameworks that are reusable across multiple applications.
- Position may require occasional travel.
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience taking a project from inception through launch. Includes influencing the vision, communicating with leadership, stakeholders, and technical teams to disambiguate requirements, describe software product features, and produce technical design documents.
- Experience partnering with UX design to build the best customer experience across web and mobile.
- Experience with cross-platform mobile application development (native platform development, React Native, Flutter).
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com