Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is hiring a Market Development Lead, who will be responsible for developing our executive strategy. We are looking for an individual to forge relationships with executives, drive messaging into this audience, and inform our product roadmap. The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional communication skills, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to lead a strategic, consultative sales process. The Lead will regularly collaborate with executive leadership, sales, product, and marketing.
The ideal candidate will have experience in or across management consulting, R&D, and SaaS go-to-market. Experience in life sciences or R&D in other key verticals (e.g., agriculture, consumer packaged goods, industrial goods) is preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL WORK ON
- Work with the field to identify, prioritize, and lead executive meetings to discover strategic needs and align Benchling offerings
- Develop relationships with senior executives (across R&D and technology/IT), acting as a trusted strategic advisor on digital transformation and business value, ultimately identifying and driving new opportunities
- Conceive and deliver research on relevant trends in our key industry verticals and partner with marketing to bring that messaging to executives
- Own and continuously refine our executive messaging
- Work with the product team to identify areas where product can solve strategic problems for the executive persona
- Plan and execute cross-customer and/or broader collaborations designed to drive industry alignment in non-competitive areas, e.g., data standards, that support Benchlings entry and positioning in new markets
- 10-15+ years of combined experience working in/across strategy, management consulting, or other roles responsible for advising senior executives
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Prior experience in relationship building and new business development
- Deep curiosity about life sciences, our customers, and our markets
- Express generative and creative thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term deal sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.