Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is hiring a Platform Lead for its Strategy team, who will be responsible for creating and executing a multi-year strategy in this market. We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual that thrives on results and is passionate about the life sciences ecosystem of software companies, hardware/instrument makers, and service providers. The successful candidate will demonstrate structured thinking, exceptional communication skills, and deep empathy for our customers. The Lead will regularly collaborate with senior management, product, and all of our go-to-market (GTM) functions to help the organization execute on its mission and operating goals.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in product management, strategy, and/or business development in tech companies, with a specific focus on creation and/or management of third-party platforms.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Conduct primary qualitative and quantitative customer and partner research to understand key problems, personas, and unmet needs
- Map the competitive landscape and value chain/ecosystem
- Forge and foster strategic customer and other third-party relationships
- Develop a multi-year strategic plan for the Platform, inclusive of business model, customer adoption/usage, and revenue
- Present defensible cases to senior leaders for why (and why not) to pursue specific category opportunities
- Build relationships with cross-functional product and go-to-market (GTM) teams
- Collaborate closely with product, product marketing, sales, and customer experience teams to build, launch, sell, and grow adoption for specific categories within an overall Platform strategy
- Develop high-level product strategy with product management
- Develop messaging, including core value proposition, positioning, and differentiation with product marketing
- Develop a customer roadmap and work alongside sales to deliver early adoption for the initial customers
- Develop a partnering/platform program for third parties in prioritized platform categories
- Build a partnership roadmap to identify, prioritize, and execute on platform partnerships
- 5-10 years of progressive experience in product management, strategy, or business development in technology
- Experience with creating and/or growing a third-party platform built on a core SaaS business
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a strong will to win in the marketplace
- Bias towards execution and proving ideas with customers
- Think in frameworks and first principles; comfortable explaining the why behind your thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term deal sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.