Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is seeking an experienced Professional Services Team Lead with a background in Life Sciences and Enterprise SaaS to lead a team of 4-8 Implementation Consultants. Team leads in PS are first line managers who have responsibility for implementing a portfolio of customers from small biotech startups, to the leading BioPharmas in the world.
In this role you will be a player-coach, both leading implementations yourself, as well as providing guidance for your team. You must be a hands on leader who enjoys working directly with customers and with others throughout Benchling to drive successful implementations. You will become a solution expert, and leverage your experience to guide our implementations, as well as to coach other newer members of the team.
To be successful in this role, you must have prior people management experience, be comfortable with Life Sciences R&D processes and scientific concepts, and be able to develop deep relationships with Scientific and IT leaders at Pharma and Biotech organizations. You must have experience with enterprise SaaS software implementation, and be an expert at working with and guiding teammates to deliver results.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Directly own the success of a portfolio of customer implementation projects. Direct the activities of 4-8 PS team members through ongoing oversight of active implementations, ensuring project teams deliver on time, within budgets, with high quality outcomes.
- Ensure your team follows best practice implementation processes, and identify opportunities to improve our rollout methodologies and tools.
- You will report to a Regional Director, and will be expected to manage team metrics including utilization, budget vs actual hours, staffing projections, and project margins to ensure the practice is running efficiently.
- Collaborate with PS Leadership to hire, mentor, and manage a high-functioning Professional Services team.
- Develop relationships at all levels in our customers organizations including with executive sponsors, key business and IT stakeholders, and project team leads.
- Act as the first escalation point for project issues, work with other teams throughout Benchling to develop solutions to problems, drive customer alignment, and be accountable for project success.
- BS or M.Sc. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar life science field.
- Proven experience working with Life Sciences companies with an understanding of R&D processes and scientific concepts with at least 2 years of experience in a lab or research setting. You must be able to empathize with scientists and quickly understand complicated scientific concepts.
- 5+ years client facing software implementation and/or consulting experience, with demonstrated success managing enterprise scale SaaS projects.
- Prior management experience, managing teams of at least 5 people. Must have demonstrated success managing and leading a high-functioning Professional Services team.
- Independent, adaptable, and can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal, written and presentation formats.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a role at Benchling is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause an undue hardship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.