ezCater is the worlds largest online marketplace for catering a $60+ billion market just in the U.S. Businesspeople use us to find and order great food for meetings and events; restaurants and caterers use us to grow their catering business. Were backed by Insight Partners, Iconiq Capital, Wellington, Lightspeed, and GIC, and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. COVID slammed us, but we responded by finding new customer segments and seizing the rare opportunity COVID offered: when in life does a very successful operation get a do-over? Come help us power Food For Work even better than we did it the first time.
Every single person at ezCater is responsible for and to our customers. Our Vice President of Customer Service will help maximize our reliability for customers on both sides of our marketplace, and lead our service operation.
The mission for the VP, Customer Service role is to make it so customers, Catering Partners, and drivers never need to contact us, yet when they want to, we are extremely helpful and cost effective.
To achieve this mission, you will:
- Be the voice of the customer across ezCater, advocating (with a loudspeaker) for our customers in our product, our marketing, and every step of the customer experience
- Operate a distributed organization of thousands of people, to support those folk who still want support
- Realize the vision of clever tooling that obviates the need to contact ezCater
- Partner with Product, Engineering, Partner Sales and Operations and outsourced partners to get all the right data to all the right parties at all the right times
- Rely on data and experimentation to optimize everything all the time
- Deeply believe that customer service is not a call center. At ezCater, its a calling
What youll do:
- Be a visible leader in our culture of decency, empowerment, helpfulness and technical strength and clever pragmatism
- Expand our vision for how technology and people operate together to deliver 100% reliability and 5-star customer support
- Scale and lead a 24/7 service operation from hundreds of Customer Service Representatives, Workforce Managers, Quality Assurance Specialists, Trainers, and more to deliver ezCater quality service at 4X the volume. Our service people are powerful professionals, justifiably proud and highly engaged. Many of them are outsourced - but no less professional, proud, and engaged
- Partner with our Product and Engineering teams to make or buy features and tools that increase reliability, decrease support requests, and increase service efficiency
- Stay calm during and stay ahead of our habit of doubling annually. Expand our reliability, ease of use, and efficiency, so support costs do not double annually yet customer and our own agents satisfaction stay sky-high. Support the growth of our representatives: individually, with great career paths; and collectively, as we continue to expand
- Identify and present trade offs at the executive and board level about customer service investment vs. enablement investments
What we hope you have:
- 5+ years heading customer service at a $1B+ company, on top of 15+ years of operating experience in roles with increasing scope. Meaningful stints in human resources, product management, operations research, and/or sales are a plus
- Experience with high-growth B2B or consumer e-commerce or marketplace companies, supported by omnichannel contact center(s) with 2000+ internal and BPO service agents
- A proclivity for software and tools. Please have successfully installed systems used by hundreds (at least) of people. If some of those systems were proprietary and you helped invent them, it would be even better
- A head for measurements and data-driven decision-making. If you used a spreadsheet to track whether rice or burgers made you more sluggish after lunch, it wouldnt be too much
- A love of fast experimentation. Try it and track it is our m.o..
- Proof of your genuine respect for customers, customer service, and customer service agents. Show us your off-the-charts customer and agent satisfaction scores, and well show you ours
Starting Salary Range: $235,000 - $280,000
What youll get from us:
Youll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. Youll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life of any age who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and youll get all this: Market salary, stock options that youll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) once we get back to our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.